Tulsa cyclist ticketed

  • Ed Wagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
      Brian Potter was ticketed and threatened with a compulsory "mental
      health evaluation" when a TPD officer objected to him riding on 15th Street.

      LINK
      <http://www.examiner.com/alternative-transportation-in-tulsa/tulsa-cyclist-ticketd-for-riding-the-street?cid=db_articles>

      Ed Wagner
      Tulsa Alternative Transportation Examiner

    • Bob Webster
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
        It's probably a good idea to right on the right to let cars get by, and it's probably a good idea for a club not to get involved in
        controversy like this.

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
          This was not a club ride, so I don't see how the sharing of Ed's article involves any clubs.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
            I agree -- sharing the article doesn't involve clubs. Having and expressing opinions doesn't either. But if a club itself gets
            involved in controversies like this, it can cause problems down the road. (pun intended :)

            _____

            On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:06 PM, "Bob Webster" <bob@... <mailto:bob%40upperspace.com> > wrote:

            > It's probably a good idea to right on the right to let cars get by, and it's probably a good idea for a club not to get involved
            in
            > controversy like this.
            >
            > _____

            <mailto:MidTownSocialClub%40yahoogroups.com> ; Tulsa Wheelmen
            > Subject: [TAT-OK] Tulsa cyclist ticketed
            >
            > Brian Potter was ticketed and threatened with a compulsory "mental
            > health evaluation" when a TPD officer objected to him riding on 15th Street.
            >
            > LINK
            > <http://www.examiner.com/alternative-transportation-in-tulsa/tulsa-cyclist-ticketd-for-riding-the-street?cid=db_articles>
            >
            > Ed Wagner
            > Tulsa Alternative Transportation Examiner

          • brhino42
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2012
              Tulsa-Area Triathletes,

              I will post on this only to clarify, as I do not wish to discuss a non-sporting or non-athletic event on this list. However, for every cyclist on this list who uses the road for training, racing, commuting, or any other activity, this kind of ticket is a threat to our rights and safety.

              The ticket was given to a cyclist (me) riding 3.5' from the curb in a 9' lane. That's 3.5' on the left, 2' for the cyclist, 3.5' on the right. Riding any further to the right would have meant lining up in the gutter without any room for maneuvering.

              Putting oneself to the right of motor traffic in a narrow lane is considered bad practice by good cyclists, as it reduces visibility, encourages right hooks, left crosses, driver pull-outs, and unsafe passing, all while putting the cyclist in the most debris-covered, erosion-ridden, pot-hole-filled, storm-grate pocked portion of the roadway.

              The Oklahoma Drivers Manual states, "A bicyclist can ride in the full lane when...the lane is too narrow for both a car and a bicycle to safely share the lane. In this case, it is safest to let the bicycle take the full lane." This is the guidance given to all motorists and cyclists in the state of Oklahoma. A lane that is too narrow to be shared is less than 14 feet.

              For anyone who was confused about the original post or its details, I hope this encourages you to ride safely by taking narrow lanes and not encouraging unsafe passing or turning. If you are discouraged by the prospect of getting a ticket, keep in mind that you would be allowing the prejudices of a single police officer to keep you from doing what is right and lawful.

              Thank you for taking a moment to read this,

              Brian D. Potter
              Part-time Cycling Educator
              Full-time College Professor
              Over-time Two-wheeler