Re: Looking for MT-1 Mount

  • scopeboy42
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 11 10:31 AM
      Hi Len,

      I bought the 75R new from Roman at Talteleoptics. Roman gave me excellent service. It is hard to buy when you have no reviews on a product and only photos and specifications to base your decision on. Roman patiently answered all my questions very quickly and sent additional photos of items I had questions about.

      I very much like the Tal75R. It has a very solid build that I expect from Tal. I was initially concerned about the tube thickness, objective cell material, & focuser. The tube is very thick and does have a welded seam on the bottom which is not on the larger models. This does not bother me one bit as it is very sold. The objective cell is metal and very nice. Objective uses 3 aluminum spacers. The dew shield is plastic like the 100R, 100RS, and 125R. You have to move up to the 125Apolar to get a metal dew shield on a Tal refractor. The focuser is a very nice all metal crayford type that is 2" with 1.25" adapter. The 1.25" adapter has T-threads. I find it very smooth and performs better than my JMI RCF-Mini1 on my dob and previous GSO models I have owned. I had initially thought of the crayford as a negative towards the 75R based on my previous experience but this one has reminded me that all crayfords are not created equal.

      The finderscope is a 4X18 straight-through with crosshairs and is excellent. Optics are glass and has screw type focus at the eyepiece end and NOT at the objective (I hate those). I have not measured the eye relief but I can use it with my glasses on.

      The 75R is supplied with the following Tal standard accessories: 1.25" metal diagonal (yes, no plastic), 2x barlow, extension tube (to increase barlow magnification, a yellow filter, and 12.5mm plossl. All is excellent quality. The supplied clamshell has a 1/4x20 fitting for a photo tripod or to affix a dovetail bar.

      The only plastic parts on this scope are: dew shields, covers & caps, focuser knobs, & finderscope bracket.

      The tube is painted bright metallic red. From the photos it may make it look like a toy but is definitly not. The scope weights about 5.5 lbs. It also comes with instructions and decorative box. The box shows the table-top equatorial mount (and has room in the box for it) but Roman is not importing those in at this time. I was only interested in the OTA since I have to patience for table-top mounts. I cannot never find anything solid to set them on.

      I have only been able to use it twice but I find the optics are excellent with CA that is not at all bothersome. My first target was Venus and the crescent looked fantastic. Much better than my dob which typically shows it has a boiling blob of a mess with large bright defraction spikes. Observed banding and the 4 moons of Jupiter, Saturn & Titan, and surface colorization on Mars (144X).

      I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.

      Greg
      Raleigh, NC

      --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "gurneyfan67" <morintouch@...> wrote:

      > You are welcome Greg, nice to see you are still in the Tal camp. How do you find that 75mm refractor,did you buy it from the new Talscopes supplier here? How was their service? Len
      >

      > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Len,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the tips.
      > >
      > > I am looking for a mount for my new Tal75R.
      > >
      > > Greg

    • gurneyfan67
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 11 12:47 PM
        Hi Greg, That is a great report. Sounds like a fine scope. I know that a lot of the Tal suppliers in Europe are now selling the scopes with other than Tal mounts(except for the MT1) due to the shipping weight of the motorized ones. By the way have you checked out Stargazer's Lounge yet? I have really enjoyed being a member. There is a guy (AndyH) who is a fount of knowledge on Tal hardware. Much like Bill Brady in the old days of this list.

> [...]
        >
        > I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.
        >
        > Greg
        > Raleigh, NC
        >
        > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "gurneyfan67" <morintouch@> wrote:
        > >

        > > You are welcome Greg, nice to see you are still in the Tal camp. How do you find that 75mm refractor,did you buy it from the new Talscopes supplier here? How was their service? Len
        > >

        > > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Len,
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for the tips.
        > > >
        > > > I am looking for a mount for my new Tal75R.

      • andrew554495
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29 2:51 AM
          Hi Greg.
          A nice review of a scope that not many folk outside of Russia have managed to get their hands on.

          I nearly got one a few years back from a dealer in europe, but after I had finished my indecision, the last one had sold. Bah.

          I believe Tal offer a 57mm diameter pedestal for their smaller scopes. In theory I believe the legs come off the little table top mount and it then screws to the pedestal.

          The Tal 1 mount(MT-1) would be a cracking setup for smaller scopes. I use mine for that purpose now and again.

          Another potential option. If you ever see a Tal Alcor(65mm Newt) come up for sale, that alt/az mount could be adjusted to take the small refractor.

          Hope to hear more thoughts of your new wee beauty, in the months to come.

          Cheers,
          Andy.

> [...]
          >
          > I have only been able to use it twice but I find the optics are excellent with CA that is not at all bothersome. My first target was Venus and the crescent looked fantastic. Much better than my dob which typically shows it has a boiling blob of a mess with large bright defraction spikes. Observed banding and the 4 moons of Jupiter, Saturn & Titan, and surface colorization on Mars (144X).
          >
          > I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.

        • scopeboy42
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2012
            Hi Andy,

            I believe Roman at Talteleoptics.com has one Tal75R left in stock. If you want one you can contact him through his website.

            Actually, I use to own a Tal-Alcor. Sold it to a fellow that is close by AND willing to sell it back to me. Mmmmmm......need to think this one over. But, alas, I am short on funds right now. :(

            Greg

            --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > I have only been able to use it twice but I find the optics are excellent with CA that is not at all bothersome. My first target was Venus and the crescent looked fantastic. Much better than my dob which typically shows it has a boiling blob of a mess with large bright defraction spikes. Observed banding and the 4 moons of Jupiter, Saturn & Titan, and surface colorization on Mars (144X).
            > >
            > > I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.

          • andrew554495
            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2012
              Hi Greg.

              I too am fundless at the moment :-(

              Look forward to your thoughts on the 75r, down the line.

              Cheers,
              Andy.

              --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@...> wrote:

              > Hi Andy,
              >
              > I believe Roman at Talteleoptics.com has one Tal75R left in stock. If you want one you can contact him through his website.
              >
              > Actually, I use to own a Tal-Alcor. Sold it to a fellow that is close by AND willing to sell it back to me. Mmmmmm......need to think this one over. But, alas, I am short on funds right now. :(
              >
              > Greg
              >
              > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Greg.
              > > A nice review of a scope that not many folk outside of Russia have managed to get their hands on.
              > >
              > > I nearly got one a few years back from a dealer in europe, but after I had finished my indecision, the last one had sold. Bah.
              > >
              > > I believe Tal offer a 57mm diameter pedestal for their smaller scopes. In theory I believe the legs come off the little table top mount and it then screws to the pedestal.
              > >
              > > The Tal 1 mount(MT-1) would be a cracking setup for smaller scopes. I use mine for that purpose now and again.
              > >
              > > Another potential option. If you ever see a Tal Alcor(65mm Newt) come up for sale, that alt/az mount could be adjusted to take the small refractor.
              > >
              > > Hope to hear more thoughts of your new wee beauty, in the months to come.
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Andy.
            • andrew554495
              Message 6 of 17 , May 16, 2012
                Hi Greg.
                Regarding the spacer, used to increase the power of the barlow........ what's it's height? I've had a look at a couple of pics and blown them up to scale. I'm guess-timating around 56mm??

                Cheers,
                Andy.

> [...]
                >
                > I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.
                >
                > Greg
                > Raleigh, NC
                >
                > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "gurneyfan67" <morintouch@> wrote:
                > >

                > > You are welcome Greg, nice to see you are still in the Tal camp. How do you find that 75mm refractor,did you buy it from the new Talscopes supplier here? How was their service? Len
                > >

                > > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Len,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the tips.
                > > >
                > > > I am looking for a mount for my new Tal75R.

              • scopeboy42
                Message 7 of 17 , May 29, 2012
                  Hi Andy,

                  I missed your message below. I will measure the spacer tube when I get home tonight and let you know.

> [...]

                  > > I am currently looking for a new mount for it. I bought a Astromaster AZ because it was inexpensive but it is not working out for me. It is very stable but the pan handle makes it very hard to control. It also wants to slip back slightly once the pan-handle is tightened.
                  > >
                  > > Greg
                  > > Raleigh, NC
                  > >
                  > > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "gurneyfan67" <morintouch@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > You are welcome Greg, nice to see you are still in the Tal camp. How do you find that 75mm refractor,did you buy it from the new Talscopes supplier here? How was their service? Len

                • andrew554495
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 30, 2012
                    Thanks Greg !

                    Andy.

                    --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Andy,
                    >
                    > I missed your message below. I will measure the spacer tube when I get home tonight and let you know.
                    >
                    > Greg
                    >
                    > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Greg.
                    > > Regarding the spacer, used to increase the power of the barlow........ what's it's height? I've had a look at a couple of pics and blown them up to scale. I'm guess-timating around 56mm??
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Andy.
                  • scopeboy42
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 30, 2012
                      Andy,

                      You are an excellent guess-timator. I measure it exactly at 56mm.

                      Greg

                      --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Greg !
                      >
                      > Andy.
                      >

                      > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Andy,
                      > >
                      > > I missed your message below. I will measure the spacer tube when I get home tonight and let you know.
                      > >
                      > > Greg
                      > >
                      > > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Greg.
                      > > > Regarding the spacer, used to increase the power of the barlow........ what's it's height? I've had a look at a couple of pics and blown them up to scale. I'm guess-timating around 56mm??
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers,
                      > > > Andy.

                    • andrew554495
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 31, 2012
                        Jeez !
                        Time to put a lotery ticket on?!?!
                        ;)
                        Andy.

                        ps: Love how Tal provide the (quality)accessories to enable you to get started. ie: a perfect grouping of available mags, 50x, 100x & 150x.
                        Stick a Tal 24mm UWA eyepiece on a 2" diagonal and you get a whopping 3.72 degrees fov ! (I star timed my UWA at 93* tfov)

                        --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@...> wrote:

                        > Andy,
                        >
                        > You are an excellent guess-timator. I measure it exactly at 56mm.
                        >
                        > Greg
                        >
                        > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "andrew554495" <bogershowie@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks Greg !
                        > >
                        > > Andy.
                        > >

                        > > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" <scopeboy42@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Andy,
                        > > >
                        > > > I missed your message below. I will measure the spacer tube when I get home tonight and let you know.
                        > > >
                        > > > Greg

                      • scopeboy42
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 28, 2013
                          I am still looking for a TAL mount in the USA. I thought I found one but seller changed his mind.

                          Thanks,

                          Greg
                          Raleigh, NC

                          --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" wrote:

                          > I am looking for a Tal MT-1 Equatorial Mount. This is the manual version. Either on a wood tripod or metal pier.
                          >
                          > Please contact me if you have one you wish to part with.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Greg
                          > Raleigh, NC

                        • Martin Vällik
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2013
                            Well,
                            I have one motorized TAL mount MT-1C on metal pier +drive corrector
                            available here in Estonia.
                            Martin V�llik

                            2013/1/28 scopeboy42 <scopeboy42@...>

                            > **
                            >

                            > I am still looking for a TAL mount in the USA. I thought I found one but
                            > seller changed his mind.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Greg
                            > Raleigh, NC
                            >
                            > --- In TALScopes@yahoogroups.com, "scopeboy42" wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I am looking for a Tal MT-1 Equatorial Mount. This is the manual
                            > version. Either on a wood tripod or metal pier.
                            > >
                            > > Please contact me if you have one you wish to part with.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Greg
                            > > Raleigh, NC

                          • scopeboy42
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2013
                              Just saw I had a error in my previous post. I am interested in either the MT-1 (manual) or MT-1 (motorized) mount with either metal pier or wood tripod.