LBV tonight?

  • John Hoey
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2005
      Ted and I will be at LBV tonight. Anyone else? I won't be bringing
      my scope so I hope to find a few friends I can mooch some photons off!

      --John
    • palsing@netzero.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2005
        Deb & I will be there...

        \Paul

        -- "John Hoey" <primefocuser@...> wrote:
        Ted and I will be at LBV tonight. Anyone else? I won't be bringing
        my scope so I hope to find a few friends I can mooch some photons off!

        --John

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Hoey
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2005
          It looks like it will be a bit breezy, but what better way to test my
          new ServoCAT!? Anyone else heading out?

          --John
        • Bob Nanz
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2005
            Probably a bit warm for me.
            If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
            try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43 27:57:35.
            Bob

            > It looks like it will be a bit breezy, but what better way to test my
            > new ServoCAT!? Anyone else heading out?
            >
            > --John
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John Hoey
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
              Too bad, Bob. You missed a great night.

              The weather was comfortable from the moment we arrived, about 6:30.
              It was shirt sleeves until about midnight. There was an intermittent
              light breeze for the first few hours. Then it died completely
              somewhere around 11:00. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the occasional bright
              smoky meteor and a wild lightning storm off to the east.

              That was a bit nerve wracking because the flashes were really bright
              and they got brighter and more frequent for a couple of hours. It got
              to the point that, no matter where you were looking, the frequent
              brilliant flashes were compromising out night vision.

              But suddenly, that stopped too. Transparence was what you expect for
              LBV but the seeing was much better than CSC had predicted. How was
              Paloman (if you went)?

              --John

              --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nanz <bobnanz@d...> wrote:
              > Probably a bit warm for me.
              > If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
              > try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43 27:57:35.
              > Bob

            • Bob Nanz
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                I was all set up at my house for taking pictures but I could see the
                lightning display.
                I have been trying to finish my Messier photo project.
                I plan to be out there next month.
                Bob
                > The weather was comfortable from the moment we arrived, about 6:30.
                > It was shirt sleeves until about midnight. There was an intermittent
                > light breeze for the first few hours. Then it died completely
                > somewhere around 11:00. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the occasional bright
                > smoky meteor and a wild lightning storm off to the east.
                >
                > That was a bit nerve wracking because the flashes were really bright
                > and they got brighter and more frequent for a couple of hours. It got
                > to the point that, no matter where you were looking, the frequent
                > brilliant flashes were compromising out night vision.
                >
                > But suddenly, that stopped too. Transparence was what you expect for
                > LBV but the seeing was much better than CSC had predicted. How was
                > Paloman (if you went)?
                >
                > --John
                >
                > --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nanz <bobnanz@d...> wrote:
                >> Probably a bit warm for me.
                >> If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
                >> try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43 27:57:35.
                >> Bob

              • Paul Alsing
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                  Hi John,

                  So, how did the ServoCat work?

                  Deb & I, Bill Dean, and Jim & Mary Jo went to the Grandview Campground
                  up in the Bristlecone Pines, east of Bishop this weekend, 3 great
                  nights, good seeing and outstanding transparency. Daytime temps in the
                  mid-70's and into the low 40's after midnight. All-in-all a great
                  observing weekend.

                  \Paul A

                  --
                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                  8/26/2005

                  --
                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                  8/26/2005
                • Robert Sheaffer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                    --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nanz <bobnanz@d...> wrote:
                    > Probably a bit warm for me.
                    > If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
                    > try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43 27:57:35.
                    > Bob

                    That isn't correct. The dec is 30 deg 31'. See
                    http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/similar/rasc-dsc.html . The RA is
                    off, too.

                    Robert
                  • Bill Dean
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                      Yippee! Nit picking time...

                      From 2MASS:

                      2MASS identifier: 19344524+3030590
                      RA: 19h34m45.24s
                      Declination: +30 30' 59.0"

                      And from a SIMBAD query:

                      HD 184738 -- Planetary Nebula
                      ICRS 2000.0 coordinates
                      19 34 45.2323 +30 30 58.936

                      A very cool object no doubt! It was a real highlight for me on the 60" up at
                      Mt. Wilson about four years ago.

                      Clear skies,
                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Sheesh...after all that, I didn't even get arount to it LOL

                        --John

                        --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Dean" <billdean@c...> wrote:
                        > Yippee! Nit picking time...
                        >
                        > From 2MASS:
                        >
                        > 2MASS identifier: 19344524+3030590
                        > RA: 19h34m45.24s
                        > Declination: +30 30' 59.0"
                        >
                        > And from a SIMBAD query:
                        >
                        > HD 184738 -- Planetary Nebula
                        > ICRS 2000.0 coordinates
                        > 19 34 45.2323 +30 30 58.936
                        >
                        > A very cool object no doubt! It was a real highlight for me on the
                        60" up at
                        > Mt. Wilson about four years ago.
                        >
                        > Clear skies,
                        > Bill

                        On Behalf
                        > Of Robert Sheaffer
                        > Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 9:07 PM
                        > To: TAC_South@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [TAC_South] Re: LBV tonight?
                        >
                        > --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nanz <bobnanz@d...> wrote:
                        > > Probably a bit warm for me.
                        > > If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
                        > > try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43
                        27:57:35.
                        > > Bob
                        >
                        > That isn't correct. The dec is 30 deg 31'. See
                        > http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/similar/rasc-dsc.html . The RA is
                        off, too.

                        > Robert

                        > Northern california lodging

                        +california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer&w3=Northern+

                        california+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=Northern+cali

                        fornia+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+broker&c=6&s=241&
                        > .sig=syJ5UnStI8-9CtlO3-WxMw> Northern california wedding photographer

                        r&w1=Northern+california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer

                        &w3=Northern+california+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=

                        Northern+california+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+brok
                        > er&c=6&s=241&.sig=EBpt35m_07m-BjHYsdniMQ> Northern california
                        > whitewater rafting

                        w1=Northern+california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer&w

                        3=Northern+california+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=No

                        rthern+california+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+broker
                        > &c=6&s=241&.sig=m4mral1Bqkr9YVwPJV_BTw>
                        > Northern california hotels

                        california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer&w3=Northern+c

                        alifornia+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=Northern+calif

                        ornia+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+broker&c=6&s=241&.
                        > sig=kKy53Yeg4zpEIHRqpQlbQw> Northern california wedding photography

                        &w1=Northern+california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer&

                        w3=Northern+california+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=N

                        orthern+california+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+broke
                        > r&c=6&s=241&.sig=E5UqCdTFf4XjYqhF2JQ_Gw> Northern california mortgage
                        > broker

                        Northern+california+lodging&w2=Northern+california+wedding+photographer&w3=N

                        orthern+california+whitewater+rafting&w4=Northern+california+hotels&w5=North

                        ern+california+wedding+photography&w6=Northern+california+mortgage+broker&c=
                        > 6&s=241&.sig=3WHtziw047wNJ-QbwH_ngQ>

                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        >

                        > ________________________________
                      • Bob Nanz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                          You are correct I gave the Info for Albireo....
                          19:34:48 and 30:31 are correct
                          Bob
                          >> If you have not gone for Campbells "Hydrogen Star"
                          >> try it. It is a small red planetary (8") pk64+5.1 at 19:30:43 27:57:35.
                          >> Bob
                          >
                          > That isn't correct. The dec is 30 deg 31'. See
                          > http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/similar/rasc-dsc.html . The RA is
                          > off, too.
                          >
                          > Robert
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • John Hoey
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                            Hi Paul,

                            I'm glad that you had a good sky. I looked at CSC for the Oregon Star
                            Party and it was totally clouded out this past weekend. I thought
                            that was where you went. Good thing not. As I wrote earlier, we had
                            quite a light show.

                            The ServoCAT worked like a charm. I did the necessary soldering and
                            got the wireless unit running, too. The only problem that this system
                            has introduced is that when I move the rocker box into & out of my van
                            I have to lift it so much higher that I have to shift my grip on the
                            handlebars to get under it. I'm thinking of adding a skid plate or a
                            couple of wheels to get around this.

                            So, have you ever noticed the triangle under M22 I mentioned?

                            --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Alsing" <palsing@n...> wrote:
                            > Hi John,
                            >
                            > So, how did the ServoCat work?
                            >
                            > Deb & I, Bill Dean, and Jim & Mary Jo went to the Grandview Campground
                            > up in the Bristlecone Pines, east of Bishop this weekend, 3 great
                            > nights, good seeing and outstanding transparency. Daytime temps in the
                            > mid-70's and into the low 40's after midnight. All-in-all a great
                            > observing weekend.
                            >
                            > \Paul A
                          • Paul Alsing
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                              John Hoey wrote;

                              So, have you ever noticed the triangle under M22 I mentioned?

                              Hi John,

                              No, I have never noticed that triangle, although it seems to be pretty
                              obvious on the photo. I will definitely check it out next opportunity.

                              What I always notice about M22 is the "arrowhead" of stars that is
                              actually IN the globular, very unique. I can almost always correctly
                              identify photos of M22 because of this asterism. Of course, the photo
                              you linked to is vastly overexposed and the arrowhead is overwhelmed.

                              I use this arrowhead as an orientation clue when tracking down the very
                              elusive planetary nebula GJJC-1 that is actually IN M22, it is a real
                              stinker. I once spent a lot of time at the eyepiece of Tom Clark's
                              home-made 25" (along with Tom, of course) tracking this guy down. I have
                              (naturally) a very detailed set of charts with which to find the thing.
                              It has been several years since I have looked for this object, maybe it
                              is time to look for it again.

                              \Paul A

                              --
                              Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                              8/26/2005
                            • Jeff Gortatowsky
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                Alright Paul. It'll be low but we'll try at Calstar. :)

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 3, 2005
                                  Anyone heading out there tonight?
                                  Bob

                                • Paul Sterngold
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 3, 2005
                                    --- Bob Nanz <bobnanz@...> wrote:
                                    > Anyone heading out there tonight?
                                    > Bob

                                    I had originally planned on LBV tonight but am a little under the weather, so
                                    will stay closer to home, and hopefully warmer.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Paul Sterngold

                                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                    dsl.yahoo.com
                                  • Paul Alsing
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 3, 2005
                                      Deb & I will be there, Bill Dean says he is going, Jim & Mary Jo are
                                      going...

                                      \Paul A

                                      I had originally planned on LBV tonight but am a little under the
                                      weather, so
                                      will stay closer to home, and hopefully warmer.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Paul Sterngold

                                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                      dsl.yahoo.com

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      11/28/2005
                                    • Bill Dean
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 3, 2005
                                        Standing down, too much work to do around the house and not enough time
                                        before the holidays.

                                        Clear skies,
                                        Bill

                                        Deb & I will be there, Bill Dean says he is going, Jim & Mary Jo are
                                        going...

                                        \Paul A

                                        I had originally planned on LBV tonight but am a little under the weather,
                                        so will stay closer to home, and hopefully warmer.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Paul Sterngold

                                        Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about.
                                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                        dsl.yahoo.com

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        11/28/2005

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Jeff Gortatowsky
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 4, 2005
                                          I thought all of you were going to Sentinal? Now I am *bummed*. I'd have gone to LBV (yeah yeah...) if'n I'd have known. I figured I would not know anyone, so why go? I went out to Anza and observed from dusk to 10:30pm and then headed home. The wind made it difficult to say the least. It started blowin' a few hours after dusk and was moving the scope around by 10pm even with the shroud off.

                                          The night started cool, clear, and calm with a gorgeous crescent moon hanging 7 or 8 degrees lower then Venus. I spotted Venus in the daylight while the Sun was still up. Not even really hard. I just blocked the sun with my hand. Seeing at the start of the evening was good. As I waited for astronomical twilight to end, I did a few creampuffs from the AL Double Star list. eta Cas, sigma Cas, and xi Cep. As the wind picked up so seeing degradined to the point that by the time the trapezium in Orion was high enough to judge seeing, the seeing had gone to heck with the A through D components looking like little snowballs.

                                          I continued with the few late year objects still available from Steve Gottlieb's SSP 2004 challenge list. First and the best of the evening was Jones 1 in Pegasus. Wow! That is a huge gorgeous PNeb - and not hard at all with the OIII. Then on to and 7318-1 and 2 and all of Stephen's Quintet. Then 7320A, B, and C (all nearby the Quintet). With those done, and quick look at 7333, I continued his list with IC10, IC166, Abell 2, and IC59 / IC63 in Cassiopeia. I sprinkled in a nearby Berkley open cluster or two while also pausing (early on) to ruin my night vision and look at Mars. With decent seeing early on Mars was sporting that large arrowhead shaped feature pointing west. Very similar to late nights at SSP 2 months ago.

                                          Wind and cold... I can take the cold no problem. I had layers of loose cloths, scarf, hood, and chem heat packs. But the wind came up and that made it frustrating to starhopping and it ruined the seeing. So that's when I decided to not stay anouther 2 hours and packed it in about 10:30. All in all, much better than a good daty at work. :)

                                          Best wishes,
                                          Jeff

                                          Bill Dean <billdean@...> wrote: Standing down, too much work to do around the house and not enough time
                                          before the holidays.

                                          Clear skies,
                                          Bill

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 4, 2005
                                            Hey Jeff,

                                            >Jeff wrote "... I thought all of you were going to Sentinal? Now I am
                                            *bummed*. I'd have gone to LBV (yeah yeah...) if'n I'd have known..."

                                            Sentinel was rained out on Friday night and we didn't want to travel
                                            that far for a single night's observing. LBV was a last-minute decision.
                                            In addition, Bill REALLY wanted to attend a local Strong Ale Festival
                                            Friday night which MAY have contributed to the "too much work on
                                            Saturday" statement he made...heh-heh...

                                            It eventually got down into the mid-20's, but that was after I went to
                                            bed at about 1:00. There wasn't a breath of wind after sunset and
                                            everyone has the proper clothing, so the cold wasn't an issue. Dead calm
                                            all night.

                                            The transparency was fine but the seeing was soft. For the first time in
                                            memory we had (4) 25"ers (all Obsessions) more-or-less in a row. A lot
                                            of major star parties may not enjoy that many big dobs. They all work
                                            really well and I spent time at everyone's eyepiece.

                                            As usual I looked at a lot of galaxy groups, all over the sky. A major
                                            catch for me personally was a peek at Burbidge's chain, a chain of four
                                            MCG galaxies 18 arcminutes NNE of NGC 247 in Cetus, a giant member of
                                            the nearby Sculptor Group. NGC 247 itself is 9th-magnitude but of very
                                            low surface brightness because it is so large. Deb & I could only see 3
                                            of the 4 galaxies, but since the "D" component is 17th mag. that isn't
                                            too surprising. I thought maybe I suspected it, but then again, I had a
                                            picture to help "convince" me. You know the drill...

                                            The next new-moon Saturday night will be New Years' Eve, and Deb & I
                                            can't think of a better place to celebrate than LBV.

                                            See you then? I'll bring the champagne...

                                            \Paul A

                                            11/28/2005
                                          • John Hoey
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 27, 2006
                                              Ted and I will be heading to LBV tonight. If nothing else, we'll be
                                              able to find out what 'moderate' wind means on CSC. It should be
                                              interesting: on a descending scale of 10..0, with 10 being dead calm,
                                              'moderate' gets a 2.

                                              The jet stream is right overhead so it looks like a small aperture
                                              kind of night. I'm leaving my Dob at home. Maybe I'll bum some
                                              photons? Is anyone else planning on being there?

                                              --John
                                            • Bob Nanz
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 27, 2006
                                                If it looks better on Sunday I will try.
                                                Bob