This Weekend?

  • Steve Kompier
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
      The weather is going to be clear and cold this Saturday. Palomar
      will be 23-30 degrees and LBV will be 33-40. Anyone planning on
      going out anywhere?

      Steve
    • Paul Alsing
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
        Debbie & I will be in LBV on Saturday night, with our Cabela down pants
        and all of our other cold weather gear.

        There is no substitute for the right tools, and good winter clothing is
        right up there with Naglers.

        \Paul A.

        The weather is going to be clear and cold this Saturday. Palomar
        will be 23-30 degrees and LBV will be 33-40. Anyone planning on
        going out anywhere?

        Steve

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Steve Kompier
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2003
          Thanks Paul.

          Looks like I need to go find my long johns.

          Steve

          --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Alsing" <palsing@n...> wrote:
          > Debbie & I will be in LBV on Saturday night, with our Cabela down
          pants
          > and all of our other cold weather gear.
          >
          > There is no substitute for the right tools, and good winter
          clothing is
          > right up there with Naglers.
          >
          > \Paul A.

        • Paul LeFevre
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2003
            Steve,
            Forecasts seem to be constantly changing (weatherman this morning says clouds and possibly a sprinkle Saturday), but I probably won't let that deter me...
            Planning on LBV, and bringing my really warm stuff. Last time temps were like this, I was manually guiding a shot out there, and my eye froze to the guiding eyepiece (true story!) :)

            Paul

            The weather is going to be clear and cold this Saturday. Palomar
            will be 23-30 degrees and LBV will be 33-40. Anyone planning on
            going out anywhere?

            Steve

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/2.XolB/TM

          • Steve Kompier
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 18, 2003
              You're right about the forecasts. The NWS shows partly cloudy and
              then clear at night, so who knows.

              Man..that's some cold weather. The forecasts show above freezing so
              that won't be a worry. I need to get some cold weather gear. That
              seems to be my limiting factor at the moment.

              Steve

              --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, "Paul LeFevre" <lefevre@m...>
              wrote:
              > Steve,
              > Forecasts seem to be constantly changing (weatherman this morning
              says clouds and possibly a sprinkle Saturday), but I probably won't
              let that deter me...
              > Planning on LBV, and bringing my really warm stuff. Last time
              temps were like this, I was manually guiding a shot out there, and
              my eye froze to the guiding eyepiece (true story!) :)

              > Paul

              US & Canada.
              > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/2.XolB/TM
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Paul Sterngold
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 18, 2003
                I'm planning on LBV and looking forward to it; I'm also anticpating a
                cold night. Apologies in advance to everyone who already knows this
                stuff, I thought it worth saying anyways...

                Staying warm while observing or imaging is very different from staying
                warm while hiking, skiing, or nearly any other activity because your body
                is not very active and therefore not generating much heat. You've got to
                dress far more warmly! Some key points:

                - I heard once that 40% of heat loss is through the head and neck. Be
                sure to bring a warm cap or ski mask. And don't neglect your neck, be
                sure it is well insulated. There's an old hiker's adage, "if your feet
                get cold, put on a hat!" <g>

                - Feet: warm socks are essential, but it's equally important that your
                socks are dry. Within a few hours, my perspiration can make my socks wet
                enough to reduce their insulating value. Bring a second pair. Or get a
                pair of "moisture wicking" sock liners. Or both! <g> (BTW, I don't own
                insulated boots but wish that I did; having said that, I have managed
                without them for many years.)

                - Long underwear -and- insulated pants are also essential. I wear ski
                pants over a pair of Chili's long underwear. The Chili's were $20 at
                Sportmart and worth five times that. They're fleece and WARM! (I used to
                wear two pairs of Patagonia Capilene long underwear but the one pair of
                Chili's is warmer.)

                - Keeping your hands warm can be challenging, since you often need to
                twiddle small knobs and make fine adjustments. I bought a pair of glove
                liners and cut off the fingertips. They work pretty well but my fingers
                can still get pretty cold, therefore I use...

                - Chemical warmer packets, often sold at hunting stores and catalogs, are
                an excellent way to provide an assist to your layers of insulation. I
                keep a pair in my hand-warmer pockets. If you've got room in your boots,
                you can put some in there as well.

                - A friend from Norcal invested in a Coleman catalytic heater. He keeps
                it under his table, where it warms his feet and legs and hands, and also
                warms the table enough to keep his eyepiece case free of dew. He regrets
                having gotten the "normal" duty heater and not the "heavier duty" one.
                BTW, they do put out a dim blue light, not enough to bother anyone at
                even the darkest site, I would say.

                - Don't forget to bring food and drink. Your body's ability to generate
                heat can be compromised if you don't keep your energy levels up, or if
                you become dehydrated. A thermos with a hot drink can be a big help.

                - If you plan on sleeping, make sure your bag is up to the task. If not,
                bring extra blankets. Also, the ground gets cold and can suck the heat
                from you, so be sure your sleeping pad has good insulating properties.
                (Blow-up mattresses do not!)

                I'd like to hear other folks' ideas and suggestions for staying warm.

                Cheers,
                Paul Sterngold

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
              • Steve Kompier
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 18, 2003
                  Thanks for the great info Paul. The heaters are a great idea.
                  They're inexpensive and the benefit in comfort would be great.

                  Steve

                  --- In TAC_South@yahoogroups.com, Paul Sterngold <psterngold@y...>

                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 2003
                    Just had to reply...

                    > because your body
                    > is not very active and therefore not generating much heat.

                    I liked setting up my computer at the entrance to my tent and imaging
                    (mostly) from inside my sleeping bag. Last time I set up long
                    exposure sequences and napped in the meantime (my camera is 8 bit,
                    the longest are usually a minute each and maybe 30 stacked, so I don't
                    need to guide).
                    I've probably used my camper van more, though. Seats, heater, table,
                    and hot chocolate all inside :>)

                    > (BTW, I don't own
                    > insulated boots but wish that I did; having said that, I have managed
                    > without them for many years.)

                    I live in Ugg boots while camping, and I can't remember my feet _ever_
                    feeling cold in them. Highly recommended.

                    > I bought a pair of glove
                    > liners and cut off the fingertips.

                    My padded soft bike gloves are also nice for the task

                    > - A friend from Norcal invested in a Coleman catalytic heater.

                    I have a Heater Buddy, ~$90
                    http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=678
                    9,000 BTU; seems to put out mostly red glow

                    BTW, NOAA has a raw data site with graphs
                    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sandiego/obs/obs-srnca.html
                    click on the squares (Fish Creek, Ranchita, MtLaguna etc.)
                    There appears to be a warm spell going on!

                    Ray