Re: [TAC_South] viewing at palomar

  • Andy Mail
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
      Where did you set up? I have only been to the observatory campground, which
      imposes some horizon limits. I can't go up tonight, but plan to go next
      Saturday.

      > Greetings went up to Palomar last night. Temp. fell fast to 42 deg. No
      > wind. Seeing was probably a 8 out of 10. This was the best sky I have
      > ever had a telescope out in. I am not that experienced but saw the veil
      > nebula in binoculars. m17 was full of detail. The wirlpool was a
      > wirlpool. I think I will go back up tonight anyone else care to come ?
      > Bob

    • Nanz Family
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
        Curt was that you I saw(like me that was sent away from the state park)? I
        was also disorganised & I guess we were in the same campground. I got there
        I think about 9pm. Andy the spot I set up had was a bit obstructed but had a
        good view to the south.
        Bob

        Curt Wittenberg wrote:

        > >Greetings went up to Palomar last night. Temp. fell fast to 42 deg. No
        > >wind. Seeing was probably a 8 out of 10. This was the best sky I have
        > >ever had a telescope out in. I am not that experienced but saw the veil
        > >nebula in binoculars. m17 was full of detail. The wirlpool was a
        > >wirlpool. I think I will go back up tonight anyone else care to come ?
        > >Bob
        >
        > Bob,
        >
        > Sorry I didn't get your message. I went up last night as well. But
        > I guess you probably did better without us. It was pretty chaotic.
        > I didn't get up there until about 9:30. My 9 year old and 7 year old
        > as well as an out of town 9 year old visitor came along. They were
        > pretty restless and cold. However, by 10 they fell asleep in the van
        > and my brother and I had quite a nice evening at the observatory
        > campground picnic area until about 12:30 when we started fading.
        > More later. Gotta run. Can't go tonight but look forward to hearing
        > about it.
        >
        > Curt

      • Curt Wittenberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
          >Curt was that you I saw(like me that was sent away from the state park)? I
          >was also disorganised & I guess we were in the same campground. I got there
          >I think about 9pm. Andy the spot I set up had was a bit obstructed but had a
          >good view to the south.
          >Bob

          Bob,

          I don't quite know whether it was me you saw. I wasn't sent away
          from the state park but I was at the observatory campground. We came
          in about 9:30 after wandering around a bit up the observatory road.
          Upon entering the campground we made the first left and just pulled
          into the open area to the left of that road. I am not familiar with
          the campground and I didn't want to be too disruptive to those
          staying there. It seemed to be a picnic area rather than campsite.
          We just took out my 4.5 and 6" newts in the parking area there.

          Viewing was pretty good from that site. No cars came by for the
          three hours we were there (lucky I guess). The view was quite
          obstructed by trees to the east but views to the North, West and
          South were reasonable (didn't note the extent of obstruction at the
          horizon but I'm going to guess about 20 degrees). The skies were
          quite transparent and still but I felt the limiting magnitude was
          around 5.5 (again, I forgot to figure this out. I need to develop
          these habits). The Milky Way was very apparent and beautiful!

          Since I thought until the last minute this trip wasn't happening I
          never made a plan. Started out by finding a few old friends (M13,
          M92, epsilon Lyr, M57). I guess I haven't been doing this long
          enough to really call them old friends but previously viewed. All
          were easily found in the 30mm Ultima at 30X, the clusters were easy
          to pick up granularity in at 100X in the 9mm ortho. M57 was very
          nice in the barlowed 30mm and withstood 200X with the barlowed ortho
          at 200X in the 6" f/6 Dob. This scope, our new ATM project, is
          behaving admirably. Epsilon Lyr was easily split in at 200X (the
          first time I felt I could see dark between the doubles although it
          took patience). I then spent some time wandering around Cygnus for
          the first time (you can see I'm relatively new at this game). The
          veil nebula was easily visible but faint in the outer stretches of
          Cygnus' wing. I tried to find the Wild Duck cluster but didn't know
          what I was looking for. The richness of stars in the Milky Way gave
          me the feeling that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Also
          took a look at Albireo, that beautiful blue/white and orange double,
          one of the prettiest I have seen.

          I didn't spend much time with the 4.5 newt (the Autostar might have
          helped me move through the sky faster but I still need the
          starhopping experience). I did take the time to check out my new 2"
          19 mm SWA Russell Optical eyepiece ($60). Unfortunately, I have to
          use it in the 4.5" since I don't have a 2" focuser in the 6". The
          12.5 project will have a 2" so that one will take these. I don't
          like the 19mm near as much as the 13mm from Russell (I really like
          this one) after using them side by side. I find it to be
          significantly less sharp across the field and less contrasty. I
          don't know if I have a "lemon" but I will have to talk to Gary about
          that possibility.

          I also picked up both my old 7X35 nikon wide angle binos and my new
          9X60 chinese binos I picked up recently from Gary Russell ($95). I
          looked at both M57 and M13 in these and the 7X35s. I could find them
          in both. Although the 9X60s showed a noticeable improvement in
          brightness it was not a significant as I expected (reasonable
          expectations?). I have to say, despite their much smaller aperture
          and their significant alignment problems I still like the 7X35s
          better. I guess the thing is I really don't like the 9X60s. I find
          I have difficulty getting a comfortable interpupillary distance that
          is useable. The eyecups are too close when the distance is correct.
          I also find them to be less bright and to lack the spacewalk feeling
          (5 deg vs 9 deg FOV, I should have expected that). I don't find the
          weight or the general finish of the binos to be a problem but I don't
          find the viewing experience satisfying. Color correction is good but
          the image degrades very noticeably toward the edges. I will have to
          look through other binos in this range to get a better feeling for
          where these stands but as it is they don't satisfy me.

          Well, all in all a very nice and informative night.

          Sorry for going on and on. I am going to send some of these comments
          to other groups so I just jotted them all down as a report here. Are
          we posting local viewing reports here?

          Curt
          Curt Wittenberg
          Olivenhain, CA
          curtw@...
        • Paul LeFevre
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
            Curt Wittenberg wrote:
            < snip >
            > Well, all in all a very nice and informative night.
            >
            > Sorry for going on and on. I am going to send some of these comments
            > to other groups so I just jotted them all down as a report here. Are
            > we posting local viewing reports here?

            Local observing reports are very welcome! I'll be archiving them and making
            them accessible from the group web site, and will eventually have a search
            engine to search them.

            Thanks for the report!

            Paul