Re: Double shadow transit and GRS in 40 minutes!

  • DMFOPTICS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
      --- In TAC_South@egroups.com, "Bill Dean" <billdean@h...> wrote:
      > It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty
      good,
      > Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't
      get worse!

      > Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
      >
      > Bill

      Howdy, Bill.
      Clouds too thick, here. Perhaps next Sunday...

      David Neal Minnick
      Lake Elsinore, CA
    • Curt Wittenberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
        I also have one on my calendar for Sunday the 14th around 10:30 PM Local.
        I'm on my way out to tweek the collimation on the 6". Seeing this with that
        scope and the clouds and moonlight is not a real likely proposition but I'm
        sure going to try.

        Curt

        on 1/7/01 6:40 PM, Bill Dean at billdean@... wrote:

        > It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty good,
        > Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't get worse!
        >
        > Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
        >
        > Bill

      • Nanz Family
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
          Just cleared a bit. Very nice.
          Bob

          Bill Dean wrote:

          > It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty good,
          > Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't get worse!
          >
          > Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
          >
          > Bill

        • Curt Wittenberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
            Wow!

            I shouldn't be such a doubter. A little collimation and a very
            serendiptious clearing of the clouds gave me an absolutely beautiful view of
            the double shadow transit in the 6" f/6. Clear to view in the 8 mm Radian
            at 114X were the shadows of Ganymede and Io, the GRS, and Io itself in
            moments of better seeing. The seeing was actually surprisingly good despite
            the intermittent clouds and the nearby moon. With Ganymede off the planets
            face it was easy to get the sense of dimensionality. My 9 year old was
            absolutely awestruck. His observational skills are getting really good! He
            picked out the GRS before I could clearly see it. He, my 8 year old
            daughter and I took occassional peaks while in between their evening
            preparations for school. It was wonderful the way Io's shadow skirted the
            GRS. As Io popped off the limb, I popped the 8mm Radian into the 2.5X
            Televue barlow for a "ridiculous" 292X. Although I lost some the contrast
            necessary to see the GRS clearly, the moons and there shadows acquired
            dimensionality. With Io just off the limb the whole image was very three
            dimensional. At that point I had to get my wife involved. Despite her
            bristling over the kids needing to get to bed, she was also struck by the
            amazing scene. A very very nice event to watch in my wonderful little truss
            tube dob.

            Curt

            on 1/7/01 7:34 PM, Curt Wittenberg at curtwitt@... wrote:

            > I also have one on my calendar for Sunday the 14th around 10:30 PM Local.
            > I'm on my way out to tweek the collimation on the 6". Seeing this with that
            > scope and the clouds and moonlight is not a real likely proposition but I'm
            > sure going to try.
            >
            > Curt
            >
            > on 1/7/01 6:40 PM, Bill Dean at billdean@... wrote:
            >
            >> It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty good,
            >> Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't get worse!
            >>
            >> Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
            >>
            >> Bill

          • Bill Dean
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
              Hi Curt-
              What are you using for "running the numbers" on the Jovian events? I haven't
              really looked too far down the road but for the 14th Guide doesn't show the
              GRS while both shadows are visible.

              Never doubt smaller aperatures for transits- I had the 9.25" and the ETX90
              up and the ETX fared pretty well. The seeing was actually outstanding after
              about 8 or so when the clouds moved inland and the fog rolled in- Io and
              Ganymede were distinct against the disc of Jupiter throughout! Too bad I
              couldn't capture the moons with the digicam but I managed some pretty good
              pictures of the shadows.

              Bill
              > I also have one on my calendar for Sunday the 14th around 10:30 PM Local.
              > I'm on my way out to tweek the collimation on the 6". Seeing this with
              that
              > scope and the clouds and moonlight is not a real likely proposition but
              I'm
              > sure going to try.
              >
              > Curt
              >
              > on 1/7/01 6:40 PM, Bill Dean at billdean@... wrote:
              >
              > > It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty good,
              > > Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't get
              worse!

              > > Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
              > >
              > > Bill

            • Bill Dean
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2001
                Good luck David!

                I got a couple of pictures of tonight's transits- let me know if you want
                'em and I'll fire one on over.

                Bill
                > > It's started already with the GRS and Io's shadow looking pretty
                > good,
                > > Ganymede's getting close...hope the light to medium clouds don't
                > get worse!
                > >
                > > Enjoy if folks...haven't seen one of these for a while.
                > >
                > > Bill
                >
                > Howdy, Bill.
                > Clouds too thick, here. Perhaps next Sunday...
                >
                > David Neal Minnick
                > Lake Elsinore, CA

              • Curt Wittenberg
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2001
                  Bill,

                  I am using Starry Night Pro for most things. This is where it really
                  shines. The image of Jupiter with the two shadows, all of the moons and the
                  GRS is accurate and very nice. However, I must admit that the information
                  on last night's and next Sunday's double shadow transit came from my wife's
                  Handspring visor (a Palm Pilot device). I bought it for her for the
                  holidays and then loaded a piece of software called Planetarium on it :) It
                  is really impressive. One of its properties is a list of events by month.
                  Both double shadow transits were on there. Of course for the nice detail I
                  went to SNP.

                  I did check out the predicted transits for next Sunday. Nice but now where
                  near as dramatic. There will be two shadows but no moon simultaneously in
                  front of the sphere. The shadows will be further apart rather than flanking
                  the GRS and the duration will be shorter. Nevertheless, certainly worth a
                  look.

                  By the way, I too was struck by the seeing last night. I don't think I have
                  ever seen it as rock solid from my backyard. If that moon was not there it
                  would have been among the best nights I have had from this location. As I
                  mentioned, I even worked at around 300X (50X/inch) for some of the evening
                  and saw little or no evidence of instability despite the loss of contrast.
                  Let's hope for more of those. Not tonight, though.

                  Curt