Re: [T-104] Welcome to another Scouting (School) Year -- first meeting Monday

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
      Now that I captured everyone's attention...  the popcorn sale at John's will be NEXT Saturday, 9/14 and not tomorrow.

      - Troop 104

      On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Bill Sherman <bgsherman@...> wrote:

      Troop 104 Scouts & Parents,

      Thanks to all of the parents and Scouts who came out for recycling a few Saturdays ago, and to scouts Alex, Aaron, and Doug who took it upon themselves to do some weeding and general yard cleanup for All-Saints yesterday.  Also congratulations to Grant Brown and Antonio Spadaro for achieving the rank of Eagle Scout over the Summer!

      This coming Monday evening (at 7:30) we'll have our first meeting of the new school year!   We will hold scout elections on this night, where the scouts will elect their Troop and Patrol leaders as well as other officers.  Consider running for a position, and think about a very short "stump" speech before the meeting (e.g. why would you be a good Troop Guide).

      In addition, we also have an opportunity to participate in many Scouting events this month, as early as tomorrow:

      a)     Tomorrow 9/07, Popcorn Show & Sell at John's Meat Market.  RSVP to Mr. Farrell (jkbcdzoo@...with a 2-hour slot that you'd like to work (between 9 & 3), and then show up in your Class A uniform.  We'll have the popcorn there so it is an easy way to get our primary annual fundraiser off to a good start.

      b) Saturday 9/21, we are planning to have a couple-hour bike ride.  Details and sign-up soon!

      c) Saturday 9/28-Sunday 9/29, we are planning a one-nighter campout and hike at Stokes State Forest.  Details and sign-up soon!

      d) Monday 9/30, our first Court of Honor for the new year.  We expect a record number of awards and advancements at this COH, because our scouts have been busy this summer!

      Although parents are always welcome at weekly meetings (and especially encouraged to attend any Court-of-Honor), it has been our tradition to ask parents to consider attending at least part of the first meeting.  This is a great chance to catch up and socialize while the boys are meeting – we have no fixed agenda but will have impromptu discussions about this years' scouting program for those that attend.

      There is no registration paperwork required for returning scouts until November/December.  We will have registration forms available on Monday if you are just joining the Troop for the first time (we might have a couple).  Scouts – consider bringing a friend!

      Some important information follows:

      1)      RSVPs are really important when we ask for them throughout the year

      This Troop operates via an electronic notification system.  When we have an event, you'll receive email (and for those who use it, a Facebook invite too) asking you for an RSVP.  We've used this for years, and saved numerous trees that we would have wasted with the old "paper form" method.  It does require that people keep us informed about their sons' intentions though.  It is OK to RSVP "probably" or "possibly" – just send us an update when it becomes clear.  We'd like to make sure that we keep a 100% RSVP rate so that we reserve enough room at each event for all scouts who wish to attend.

      2)      Website & Facebook

      Our website, already updated by our webmaster, has the year's current draft schedule, and lots of additional information.  Please bookmark the URL:  http://t104.us

      Recall that we meet any Monday that school is in session – but if you forget, the web page always says if there is a meeting or not.

      There is also a Facebook Page that can be used for communications – if you are in Facebook, you should be able to reach it at http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=115980395079574&ref=ts or by looking for Group "Troop 104".

      3)      Forms

      Another great reason to go to the website is that we have forms there, so if you delete an email from the troop then you can always go and print another form.  Forms can be found at:  http://t104.us/taxonomy/term/1051

      We are looking forward to seeing you all Monday night; scouts should think about running for leadership positions at that meeting.

      Bill Sherman
      Troop 104

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2013
          All,

          Our yahoogroups distribution distribution list has had a few hiccups this week...  I do not know why this email from last Friday came out again just this morning, but it appears to have.  Please note the correct date for the popcorn show & sell is Saturday 9/14.

          T-104

          a)     Saturday 9/14, Popcorn Show & Sell at John's Meat Market.  RSVP to Mr. Farrell (jkbcdzoo@...with a 2-hour slot that you'd like to work (between 9 & 3), and then show up in your Class A uniform.  We'll have the popcorn there so it is an easy way to get our primary annual fundraiser off to a good start.