Canoe Trip in 2 weeks — you MUST RSVP and turn in all paperwork at Monday's meeting to attend!

  • emthaljr
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2013

    Our next Troop 104 Camping Trip will happen the weekend of 5/17, 18, 19 and we will be camping in the Pine Barrens (Wharton State Forest).  For a Saturday activity, we will rent canoes from Mick’s, a local Outfitter, and be driven 20 miles upstream to canoe back to camp.  It is a lot of fun, not too strenuous, and pretty popular.

    To participate, Scouts must have either:
      A) a swimming Merit badge,
      B) passed a BSA swim test (e.g. at summer camp last year),
      C) passed a BSA swim test at this coming Monday's meeting to be held at the JCC pool; BSA swim tests and water skills practice will be offered

    Mr. Bumiller, who happens to be a Swimming Merit Badge Counselor, will be able to certify you as "canoe trip ready" if you pass a BSA swim test at this coming Monday's Troop meeting — which will NOT BE HELD AT ALL-SAINTS CHURCH — we're meeting at the JCC located at 1391 Martine Ave  Scotch Plains, NJ 07076.  There will be other mail about this.

    Keep in mind that this swim test does not qualify you for anything other than participation at the canoe trip.  Also note that we will follow Scouting’s rules for water safety, which include full-time use of personal flotation devices, which will be provided.  You may bring your own if you have one that you prefer (that is in good condition).

    At this point, we are planning to cook on stoves, patrol-style. We are collecting $10 per scout for meals which will be purchased by 2 scouts per patrol.   (There might be an opportunity for a few scouts to cook their dinners in 2-man groundfire teams, if they so choose).  NOTE: In a change from past canoe trips, patrols be shopping for Saturday lunch, and as such individual scouts should NOT bring a “bag lunch”.  We will eat Saturday lunch on the river (we beach the canoes and have a sort of picnic).

    You MUST turn in your fees and forms at Monday night’s Scout meeting (5/6) — yes, at the JCC.  We are going to try and hold the line on late forms and fees (none turned in after Monday, May 6th)  – because logistics, reservations, and drivers are much more difficult to line up when we don't have a firm count in advance.  Please help us by making a decision and letting us know by Monday.  RSVP's may be emailed to trip coordinator (Ed Thal, ethal@...<mailto:ethal@...> ).  We expect everyone in the troop to send an email to Ed if they do not turn in a form on Monday – we don’t like guessing at counts, or disappointing scouts when we cannot accommodate them at the last minute.  Thanks for your cooperation.

    Also, there is a RELEASE FORM from the outfitter that we charter to provide the canoes and take us upstream.  It is attached, and must be signed by a parent to attend.

  • emthaljr
    Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2013

      This is a reminder to please submit attached forms and/or RSVP to me by end of day today, Monday, May 6th.  I will be at the JCC pool this evening for the special Troop meeting there.