Swim test for canoe trip

  • edbumiller@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      For anyone going on the canoe you have to have passed the BSA swim test. If you did it last year at summer camp with the troop or took it last year for the canoe trip you are all set. For those who need to take the test I will be at the Scotch Plains YMCA at 5:30 PM on Saturday, May 5, meet me in the lobby. Wear your bathing suit and bring dry clothes, you can change in the locker rooms after. The test should take 10 to 15 minutes. Adults are encouraged to take the test too.

      The test is:
      • Jump feet first into water over the head, level off, and begin swimming.
      • Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: side, breast, trudgen, or crawl. Swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.
      • The 100 yards must be completed without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.
      • Rest by floating…Long enough to demonstrate ability to rest when exhausted.

      Please reply to this email to let me know you are coming.

      Thanks,
      Ed Bumiller