Reminder, T-104 Summer Camp focused meeting tonight

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014
      Reminder,

      We WILL be having a scout meeting tonight.  Our primary focus will be on final preparations for summer camp, but all are welcome regardless of they are going to camp or not.

      A few guidelines:

      1) You should bring your backpack, fully packed for camp.  More experienced scouts will help you evaluate how well you did, and offer suggestions on what to add/drop.  On Friday, you'll be happy that you are packed in advance.

      2) All smellables (anything with an odor -- toothpaste/toothbrush, sunscreen, soap/shampoo) must be in a single squared "nut jar".  Most of you have these from past trips, but I will bring plenty enough to tonight's meeting for you if you do not have one.  Baggies do *NOT* work at camp -- they get lost in the bear box and cause you and everyone else frustration.  I will have at least one "non-nut" jar if any one needs a jar and has nut allergies (though most of you probably already have jars).

      We might finish up some chair painting, so class "B" uniforms are optional -- you could wear painting clothes if you like

      See you tonight.
      Troop 104

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014
        I few people have asked about whether they need to their backpack tonight if they are going to Winnebago.  The answer is that it is not required, but you are welcome to do it if you'd like some advice.  All Sabattis campers are required to bring theirs.

        The reasons we do backpack inspection, typically for Sabattis, are as follows:

        1) It's 6 hours away, and if you don't pack well, there are no "do-overs"
        2) Sabattis is an adventure camp -- you pitch your own tent, and take hikes -- you need a little more gear than at Winnebago, but not so much that you cannot carry it for a couple of miles.
        3) We want all scouts packed 4 days in advance, so there are no scouts up late Friday evening saying "WHERE is my mess kit?".  Every scout should come to camp thoroughly rested because they will do much better and have a better time.
        4) It is good for the scouts to present their own packing job to the senior scouts for advice.  Scouts must pack their own packs -- no Moms and Dads packing.  We do NOT ever want to hear "I don't know if Mom PACKED my XYZ" while we're at camp.  This is their trip, and their responsibility.  We give them SUPPORT by looking it over and offering suggestions.  Such things as: "you do not need 8 pairs of pants in your pack", or "if it doesn't fit in or on your pack then you are taking too much".  Experienced scouts carry everything for the week on their backs (they carry less gear each year) -- inexperienced scouts generally fill the pack, and carry another bag and have their hands full of even more stuff....  we want to stop that behavior because most of that will not get used, and it will just tire the scouts out to carry all of the extra gear.  I can't tell you how many times a scout thinks he has no rain gear, only to find out when he was packing to leave that it was jammed down between some extra items that he never used.

        Tonight is a good night for questions -- bring them, along with your gear.

        Bill Sherman

        On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Bill Sherman <bgsherman@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Ian
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014
          After reading the email I would like to inform everyone that we have no more chairs to finish painting so painting clothes are not necessary and therefore class B uniforms would be highly recommended.

          YIS

          Ian Gordon

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Okell, Robert - BLS
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014

            What about the older chairs that aren’t stenciled. Weren’t you going to try to finish them also? (Granted, I don’t think there are a whole lot of them).

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014
              I was my aware of these chairs and that they needed painting but unfortunately I threw all the stencils out last meeting as they were disposable and I had no further use for them.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014

                No worries. The church lived long enough with out them, they can continue to do so.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2014
                  No problem I would've kept them had I known we needed them done. Sorry about that.

                  Sent from my iPhone