890Re: [T-104] Philmont 2015

  • DAVID W MCINTYRE
    Dec 28, 2013
      In our Council, we are lucky in that there is a special program called "Watchu" which is the premier Philmont preparation program in the country.  All the other scout councils around the country use our program as a model.  "Watchu is an 18-month-long program of teenage high adventure, capped by a backpacking trek at Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimarron, New Mexico."

      You can read more about the Watchu program at:

      This also means that we'll start training and planning for our 2015 trip soon!  The cost for 2015 contingents is planned to be $1995 at this point, due in several payments ($250 at signup, and then $435 in June, 2014, etc).  It's a big part of the Philmont experience that scouts "earn their way."  This is a perfect use for those 10% accounts, etc.

      For more information about Philmont, see their website at:

      Philmont is the BSA's premier High Adventure base, and has been a scouting tradition since 1939.  If you meet any older man who was a scout and ask them what their most memorable experience was, they will often tell you "Philmont."  I was lucky enough to attend a weeklong training session at Philmont in 2009, and the facility and country is amazing.

      You can see a list of 2013 trek itineraries here:

      and ours will be selected by the scouts who attend T104's trek (with prodding from Mr Bumiller and myself not to pick one that's too hard).    If you have any questions, please contact me or Mr Bumiller ASAP.

      Mr. McIntyre

      On Dec 26, 2013, at 5:28 AM, edbumiller@... wrote:

       We have signed up for Philmont in the summer of 2015. Philmont is located in New Mexico and is considered one of the top high adventure camps. This will be a two week trip including a 10 day trek at Philmont, it also includes some side trips in the area. The estimated cost of the trip will be between $2,000  and $2,500, this includes air fare and ground transportation. We will know the exact dates by the end of January 2014 when Philmont has their lottery. I have to submit a list of name of those interested in a few days so let me know as soon as possible if you are interested. The size of the crew can range from 8 - 12 including adults. Scouts attending the Sabattis trek this summer get first dibs, we do believe there will be additional spots available.  Please contact Mr. McIntyre or myself if you have any questions.
      Sorry for the short notice,
      Mr. Bumiller

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic