1074Fwd: [T-104] Checking for ticks [3 Attachments]

    Jun 8, 2014
      Parents,

      We had a great campout in the Stokes State Forest, but we wanted to remind you to check the guys for ticks.

      Any time your sons are in the out-of-doors, ticks are a possibility.  Several were picked up in the forest this weekend -- although all of them happened to be dog ticks (much larger that the deer ticks which can carry Lyme disease). They are generally not going to be a problem as long as you a) inspect carefully for them after time in the outdoors, and b) watch for and handle it appropriately when one of your sons picks up a tick.

      Inspection
      • Make sure that your sons inspect their bodies when they bathe or shower, and pay particular attention to “out of the way areas” such as behind the knees, in the armpits, and between the legs.
      • You should make sure that an adult inspects their back and their hair while it is wet.  You will generally feel a bump if you rub the scalp while the hair is wet.
      Handling a Tick
      • Ticks burrow their heads into your skin to get a blood meal.  After such a short time in the outdoors, then wouldn’t have had time to dig in very far, and should be easier to get out.  There are several good internet resources about doing it — and simple tools at the pharmacy such as this: http://www.amazon.com/THE-TICK-KEY-The-Tick/dp/B000R1D3KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402267920&sr=8-1&keywords=tick+remover+tool
      • The important thing to do is to be slow and careful when removing a tick — do not twist it while removing, do not squish its contents into a wound, and do not leave portions of its pinchers in the skin.  See http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html
      • After tick removal, disinfect the area with alcohol and watch the area for at least a week to make sure that concentric red rings do not appear.  If they do, seek assistance from a medical professional to get antibiotics to avoid disease.
      • Many people kill the tick by squashing it in pliers until the “clicking” sound gives you confidence that it’s hard shell has collapsed. Personally, I do that in the woods between rocks, where I will not come into contact with any disease agents from the squished ticks.  If I picked one off at home, I might kill it with alcohol instead of tainting my tools.
      Most of all, if/when your son picks up a tick, don’t panic.  It’s an unfortunate reality they there are out there —not only in the woods, but in your yards at home, and sometimes even on your pets. Teaching them how to handle them responsibly is the key to staying safe.
      Bill Sherman
      Troop 104

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic