Billerbeck

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2008
      The discussion on prayers included this passage:
      "Strack and Billerbeck also hold that there is no Jewish
      prototype for such utter surrender by the worshipper"

      It is true that the various volumes of SB are credited
      to the two authors (Strack and Billerbeck). But is my memory at fault
      in suggesting to me that most of the views expressed in the volumes
      are generally held as being those of Billerbeck? If this is the case
      then should we not cite the work by both authors, but when discussing
      the opinions contained therein cite the _views_ as those of Billerbeck?

      I believe there has been some controversy on this issue but do
      not have chapter and verse to hand. When consulting the volumes
      I have often found it best to look up the cited rabbinic passages
      in their proper context
      and not to pay too much attention to the comments (by B) in SB.