Re: [XTalk] IOU: Heinemann on Matt. 6:10//Lk. 11:2

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
      From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
      To: "Synoptic@yahoo" <Synoptic@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "Crosstalk2" <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>; "biblical-studies"
      <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>; "christian_origins"
      <christian_origins@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:14 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] IOU: Heinemann on Matt. 6:10//Lk. 11:2

      > Apologies for cross posting, but I'd like to take advantage of the
      > widest possible audience:
      >
      > I've just finished reading Joseph Heinemann's "The Background of Jesus'
      > Prayer in the Jewish Liturgical Tradition" (pp. 81-89 in _The Lord's
      > Prayer and Jewish Liturgy_, J. Petuchowski and M. Brocke, eds.) and I
      > came across this statement on p. 86:
      >

      > Similarly, K. G. Kuhn (_Achtzehngebet und Vaterunser und dem
      > Reim_ [Tubingen, 1950, pp. 21-22] emphasizes the contrast
      > between the NT passages quoted [i.e., Matt. 26:39, 42; Mark
      > 14:36 and Matt. 6:9 ff] and the Jewish conception, in which
      > men "perform Thy will". This conception is found, for example,
      > in the Palestinian version of the Eighteen Benedictions. In
      > Rabbinic Judaism, the role of mankind in general, and of the
      > Jewish people in particular, is to perform the will of God,
      > whereas in the passive form used by Jesus ("May Thy will be
      > done"), no room is left for man as an active agent performing
      > God's will (p. 87).
      >
      > This is preceded by:
      >
      > There is reason to inquire whether the formula, "May it be Thy
      > will" [of 1st century Jewish private prayers], expressed the
      > same kind of abject deference and surrender to the will of God
      > which is found in the prayer of Jesus: "Not as I will, but as
      > Thou wilt" (Matt. 26:39, 42; Mark 14:36), as well as in the
      > verse: "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matt.
      > 6:9 ff.). Heiler considers those verses to be "the highest
      > moment in the history of prayer", and regards the passing over
      > of the petitioner's prayer "into the complete surrender in
      > which the wish is suppressed" as the great innovation of
      > Jesus.'
      >
      > Strack and Billerbeck also hold that there is no Jewish
      > prototype for such utter surrender by the worshipper (except
      > the words of Judah, in I Maccabees 3:60, "As may be the will
      > in heaven, so shall He do"-but this is not a prayer). They
      > regard the short prayer of Rabbi Eliezer, "May Thy will be
      > done in heaven above, and grant relief to those who revere
      > Thee; and do that which is good in Thy sight" (Tosephta
      > Berakhoth 111, 7), as merely a faint echo of Jesus' prayer;
      > while the other parallels from talmudic literature which are
      > usually cited are not at all relevant according to their view.
      > They do not mention the formula, "May it be Thy will", in this
      > context.
      >
      > It would appear that Strack and Billerbeck are right and that,
      > notwithstanding the affinity of Rabbi Eliezer's prayer to that
      > of Jesus, there is a fundamental novelty in the conception of
      > the latter. When the Jewish petitioner surrenders his wish to
      > the will of God, he nevertheless does not abandon it
      > altogether. His request still stands, and, if it remains
      > conditional upon God's will, this is only because he trusts
      > that it shall, indeed, be God's will to grant the request. We
      > do not have here the same categorical surrender in which the
> [...]

      Hello, my friend. I have ended my sabbatical (health reasons) and am glad to
      see..er..read you again. I see you are continuing your extensive study of
      theLord's Prayer. This is going to make a great book or paper. As is my
      habit, I can only weigh in with the Aramaic vox Iesu where this part of the
      petition is yhw) cbynk...yihwe tsebyanak...'Let happen.... your
      wish/desire." There are usages of these words in the Targum of Isaiah
      65:12; 66:4; Job 21:14and Proverbs 8:24. As is often the case the Aramaic
      idiom may differ somewhat from the Greek and subsequent translations.

      Jack