[Synoptic-L] Transliterating Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, etc.

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
      Could someone direct me to a website with transliteration tables? I've been Googling around without finding any standard, professional ones.

      Jeffery Hodges

      University Degrees:

      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
      M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

      Email Address:

      jefferyhodges@...

      Blog:

      http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

      Office Address:

      School of English, Kyung Hee University
      1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu
      Seoul, 130-701
      South Korea

      Home Address:

      Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
      Sangbong-dong 1
      Jungnang-gu
      Seoul 131-771
      South Korea

    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
        I'm guessing you mean Greek transliteration schemes?

        Here are some options:
        The suggested transliteration scheme for the B-Greek e-list:
        http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/transliteration.txt

        The full tables of the Text Criticism e-journal:
        http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/TC-translit.html

        The description further of BetaCode Greek
        http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/OM/Beta-codes.html

        I would also encourage you to have a look at the very well done
        transliteration work by OakTree:
        http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/pdf/fonts.pdf
        specifically with their Rosetta font designed just for Greek/Hebrew
        transliteration.

        Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
        Minister, Raytown Christian Church
        Ph.D. Candidate, Brite Divinity School, TCU

        On Jan 3, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

        > Could someone direct me to a website with transliteration tables?
        > I've been Googling around without finding any standard, professional
        > ones.
        >
        > Jeffery Hodges
      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
          Greek, thank, but also:

          "Transliterating Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, etc."

          I had that in the subject heading, but I can imagine that it's not so obvious that I wouldn't be overlooked. (Also Syriac.)

          Jeffery Hodges

          Joseph Weaks <j.weaks@...> wrote:
          I'm guessing you mean Greek transliteration schemes?

          Here are some options:
          The suggested transliteration scheme for the B-Greek e-list:
          http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/transliteration.txt

          The full tables of the Text Criticism e-journal:
          http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/TC-translit.html

          The description further of BetaCode Greek
          http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/OM/Beta-codes.html

          I would also encourage you to have a look at the very well done
          transliteration work by OakTree:
          http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/pdf/fonts.pdf
          specifically with their Rosetta font designed just for Greek/Hebrew
          transliteration.

          Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
          Minister, Raytown Christian Church
          Ph.D. Candidate, Brite Divinity School, TCU

          On Jan 3, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

          > Could someone direct me to a website with transliteration tables?
          > I've been Googling around without finding any standard, professional
          > ones.
          >
          > Jeffery Hodges

          Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l
          Yahoo! Groups Links