Re: [Synoptic-L] how much of Q is in M?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2007
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      > If I understand this paragraph correctly, the material you're referring to
      > could (should?) be investigated further as possible Q material. Is that
      > correct?

      Chuck,

      Not really, for I think the hypothetical Q comes from a simplistic and
      flawed understanding of the Double Tradition. My reconstruction of the logia
      differs quite a lot from Q (details on my Web site). The diverse nature of Q
      is such that it is impossible to define useful criteria as to what sayings
      from outside the Double Tradition should be added to it. The Double
      Tradition is the wrong place to start. If we start with the doublets, which
      is a cohesive group of aphorisms, it is much easier to see which other
      synoptic sayings should be added to the group.