Re: [Synoptic-L] A John Issue

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2007
      > BRUCE: To open a Gospel of Jesus with the Gospel [preached by] John strikes
      > me as narrative suicide.

      RON: Far from it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.
      How many billion Christians are out there now? If that's not a successful
      outcome of the pioneering gospel, I don't know what is.
      Mark's introduction was a literary masterpiece. He opened it by claiming
      scriptural support for Jesus' mission (1:2-3), and closed it by using Jesus'
      baptism as a scenario for the proclamation of Jesus' Sonship (1:11), and
      associating the kingdom which was the focus of Jesus' teaching with the
      (somewhat different) gospel he was about to relate (1:15). Thus in a few
      strokes of the pen he had united OT prophecy, the teaching of Jesus, and the
      gospel of Paul (Jesus as God's Son, e.g. I Thess 1:10) into a single
      divinely ordained trajectory.

      > BRUCE: But that a sayings collection, which might more rationally focus
      > on Jesus's directions for living, would contain only sayings of Jesus (and
      > not stories about Jesus and his rivals and predecessors) still strikes me as
      > the default or preferable assumption. I take John's inclusion in "Q" as a
      > point against the stated logic of "Q," and if the cut-down version of Q
      > which Ron is proposing (call it A) lacks that anomaly, so much the better
      > for the cut-down version.

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2007
        To: Synoptic
        On: Mark
        From: Bruce

        This is getting a little silly, but just for the record [I had characterized
        the JB incipit of Mark as ill-advised]:

        RON: Far from it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.
        How many billion Christians are out there now? If that's not a successful
        outcome of the pioneering gospel, I don't know what is.

        BRUCE: Non sequitur. Try the history of Christianity over again without the
        Three Wise Men, and see how far you get.