Re: [Synoptic-L] "hallowing the name"

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
      Following up on my own question, I see that the article in TDNT on hAGIAZW
      (see below) points me to at least one author who supports the idea that
      martyrdom was a special way of "hallowing the name", i.e., G.E. Moore
      _Judaism_ Vol. 2 105 f.

      The entry also cites Midrash on Ps. 16:2 (61a).

      Is this Midrash on line anywhere?

      Jeffrey

      The holiness of the name of God, i.e., of God Himself, is
      particularly characterized by the expression “to hallow the name
      (of God).” This is often found in prayers with God as subject:
      “Hallow Thy name” (Tanna de-bē Elijjahu, 21, E), or, the same
      in substance though not in expression: “Hallowed be Thy name,”
      synonymous with “Glorified be Thy name.” The two latter terms
      are found together at the beginning of the Kaddish prayer:
      יִתְקַדַּשׁ וְיִתְגַדַּל שְׁמָךְ
      רַבָּא “Hallowed and glorified be Thy great name.” “God
      sanctifies His name by showing His holiness to the world,”36
       and by forcing men to acknowledge His name. Quite often,
      however, it is said of men, though usually only of Israelites, that
      they hallow the name of God. They do this by “so living that men
      must see and say that the God of Israel is the true God,” and
      especially by obeying the will of God in keeping the commands of
      the Torah and studying to achieve a blameless walk in the eyes of
      the world. Thus the hallowing of the name (קִידּוּשׁ
      הַשֵּׁם) is “the chief principle and motive of ethical
      action in Judaism.”

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.