Re: [Synoptic-L] "hallowing the name"

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
      In the Shepkaru article the words "sanctification of
      the Divine name" are used expressing the Hebrew
      qiddush ha-Shem. In footnote 2 on page 1 he cites : E.
      Grunewald, "Qiddush ha-Shem : An Examination of a
      Term," Molad, 24 (1968): 476-484 (Hebrew); S. Safrai,
      "Qiddush ha-Shem In the Teachings of the Tannaim,"
      Zion, 43 (1979) : 28-42

      John

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
        Following up on my own question, I see that the article in TDNT on hAGIAZW
        (see below) points me to at least one author who supports the idea that
        martyrdom was a special way of "hallowing the name", i.e., G.E. Moore
        _Judaism_ Vol. 2 105 f.

        The entry also cites Midrash on Ps. 16:2 (61a).

        Is this Midrash on line anywhere?

        Jeffrey

        The holiness of the name of God, i.e., of God Himself, is
        particularly characterized by the expression “to hallow the name
        (of God).” This is often found in prayers with God as subject:
        “Hallow Thy name” (Tanna de-bē Elijjahu, 21, E), or, the same
        in substance though not in expression: “Hallowed be Thy name,”
        synonymous with “Glorified be Thy name.” The two latter terms
        are found together at the beginning of the Kaddish prayer:
        יִתְקַדַּשׁ וְיִתְגַדַּל שְׁמָךְ
        רַבָּא “Hallowed and glorified be Thy great name.” “God
        sanctifies His name by showing His holiness to the world,”36
         and by forcing men to acknowledge His name. Quite often,
        however, it is said of men, though usually only of Israelites, that
        they hallow the name of God. They do this by “so living that men
        must see and say that the God of Israel is the true God,” and
        especially by obeying the will of God in keeping the commands of
        the Torah and studying to achieve a blameless walk in the eyes of
        the world. Thus the hallowing of the name (קִידּוּשׁ
        הַשֵּׁם) is “the chief principle and motive of ethical
        action in Judaism.”

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.