Re: [Synoptic-L] "hallowing the name"

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
      John Lupia wrote:

      > Hi Jeffrey:
      >
      > As you know martyrdom in the first century meant "to
      > witness" and the leaders of the Church who bore
      > witness often to the point of death were esteemed and
      > revered. Eusebius of Caesarea wrote about this based
      > on oral tradition : "It is told that Paul was beheaded
      > by him (Nero) and Peter crucified at Rome; and this is
      > now confirmed by the splendid monuments to the names
      > of Peter and Paul still visited in the cemeteries of
      > the city of Rome. For the rest, Gaius, an ecclesiastic
      > who lived at the time when Zepherinus was Bishop of
      > Rome (199-217), in writing against Proclus, leader of
      > the Montanist sect (Kataphrygians), speaks of the
      > places where the sacred remains of the said apostles
      > were deposited: "I can show you the trophies of the
      > Apostles. If you will go to the Vatican or along the
      > Via Ostiensis you will find the trophies of the
      > founders of this Church" (Hist. Eccl. II, 25: P.L. 20,
      > 207-210).

      Thanks for this.

      But I fail to see how it is in any way relevant to, let alone answers, the particular question that I asked,
      namely, if there is any evidence, as I remember there being, that in **first century Judaism** to "hallow the
      name" was thought to be synonymous with, or was known to entail, being willing to face/actually undergoing
      martyrdom.

      JG

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

      God is not a chauvinist
    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
        Hi Jeffrey:

        I misunderstood your question construing it to ask
        about first century reverence or hallowing the name of
        the martyr. Hence, I cited Eusebius who wrote
        “monuments to the names of Peter and Paul.”

        In answer to your query then, try looking at Shmuel
        Shepkaru, "From after Death to Afterlife: Martyrdom
        and Its Recompense," AJS Review, Vol. 24, No. 1 (1999)
        : 1-44.

        Perhaps related to your query is the ancient belief on
        the power of a name. See Watson E. Mills, Gen. Ed.,
        Mercer Dictionary of the Bible. In the main entry
        "God," see sub article :"The Names of God," 336
        (available online at Google Books)

        John

        --- "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
        wrote:

        > John Lupia wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Jeffrey:
        > >
        > > As you know martyrdom in the first century meant
        > > witness" and the leaders of the Church who bore
        > > witness often to the point of death were esteemed
        > and
        > > revered. Eusebius of Caesarea wrote about this
        > based
        > > on oral tradition : "It is told that Paul was
        > beheaded
        > > by him (Nero) and Peter crucified at Rome; and
        > this is
        > > now confirmed by the splendid monuments to the
        > names
        > > of Peter and Paul still visited in the cemeteries
        > of
        > > the city of Rome. For the rest, Gaius, an
        > ecclesiastic
        > > who lived at the time when Zepherinus was Bishop
        > of
        > > Rome (199-217), in writing against Proclus, leader
        > of
        > > the Montanist sect (Kataphrygians), speaks of the
        > > places where the sacred remains of the said
        > apostles
        > > were deposited: "I can show you the trophies of
        > the
        > > Apostles. If you will go to the Vatican or along
        > the
        > > Via Ostiensis you will find the trophies of the
        > > founders of this Church" (Hist. Eccl. II, 25: P.L.
        > 20,
        > > 207-210).
        > >

        > Thanks for this.
        >
        > But I fail to see how it is in any way relevant to,
        > let alone answers, the particular question that I
        > asked,
        > namely, if there is any evidence, as I remember
        > there being, that in **first century Judaism** to
        > "hallow the
        > name" was thought to be synonymous with, or was
        > known to entail, being willing to face/actually
        > undergoing
        > martyrdom.
        >
        > JG
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Chicago, Illinois
        > e-mail jgibson000@...
        >
        > God is not a chauvinist

        John N. Lupia III
        New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
        God Bless Everyone

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
      • John Lupia
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
          In the Shepkaru article the words "sanctification of
          the Divine name" are used expressing the Hebrew
          qiddush ha-Shem. In footnote 2 on page 1 he cites : E.
          Grunewald, "Qiddush ha-Shem : An Examination of a
          Term," Molad, 24 (1968): 476-484 (Hebrew); S. Safrai,
          "Qiddush ha-Shem In the Teachings of the Tannaim,"
          Zion, 43 (1979) : 28-42

          John

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
            Following up on my own question, I see that the article in TDNT on hAGIAZW
            (see below) points me to at least one author who supports the idea that
            martyrdom was a special way of "hallowing the name", i.e., G.E. Moore
            _Judaism_ Vol. 2 105 f.

            The entry also cites Midrash on Ps. 16:2 (61a).

            Is this Midrash on line anywhere?

            Jeffrey

            The holiness of the name of God, i.e., of God Himself, is
            particularly characterized by the expression “to hallow the name
            (of God).” This is often found in prayers with God as subject:
            “Hallow Thy name” (Tanna de-bē Elijjahu, 21, E), or, the same
            in substance though not in expression: “Hallowed be Thy name,”
            synonymous with “Glorified be Thy name.” The two latter terms
            are found together at the beginning of the Kaddish prayer:
            יִתְקַדַּשׁ וְיִתְגַדַּל שְׁמָךְ
            רַבָּא “Hallowed and glorified be Thy great name.” “God
            sanctifies His name by showing His holiness to the world,”36
             and by forcing men to acknowledge His name. Quite often,
            however, it is said of men, though usually only of Israelites, that
            they hallow the name of God. They do this by “so living that men
            must see and say that the God of Israel is the true God,” and
            especially by obeying the will of God in keeping the commands of
            the Torah and studying to achieve a blameless walk in the eyes of
            the world. Thus the hallowing of the name (קִידּוּשׁ
            הַשֵּׁם) is “the chief principle and motive of ethical
            action in Judaism.”

            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.