Re: [Synoptic-L] "hallowing the name"

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
      Hi Jeffrey:

      As you know martyrdom in the first century meant "to
      witness" and the leaders of the Church who bore
      witness often to the point of death were esteemed and
      revered. Eusebius of Caesarea wrote about this based
      on oral tradition : "It is told that Paul was beheaded
      by him (Nero) and Peter crucified at Rome; and this is
      now confirmed by the splendid monuments to the names
      of Peter and Paul still visited in the cemeteries of
      the city of Rome. For the rest, Gaius, an ecclesiastic
      who lived at the time when Zepherinus was Bishop of
      Rome (199-217), in writing against Proclus, leader of
      the Montanist sect (Kataphrygians), speaks of the
      places where the sacred remains of the said apostles
      were deposited: "I can show you the trophies of the
      Apostles. If you will go to the Vatican or along the
      Via Ostiensis you will find the trophies of the
      founders of this Church" (Hist. Eccl. II, 25: P.L. 20,
      207-210).

      John

      > Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >
      > > With apologies for cross posting:
      > >
      > > I recall reading that in first century Judaism
      > "hallowing the name" was
      > > becoming (or already was) expressly identified
      > with martyrdom. But I
      > > cannot at the moment locate the source or sources
      > which
      > > mooted/documented this idea.
      > >
      > > Can anyone here help with this?
      > >
      > > Who, if anyone, has made this claim?
      > >
      > > Yours,
      > >
      > > Jeffrey Gibson
      > > --
      > > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      > > Chicago, Illinois
      > > e-mail jgibson000@...
      > <mailto:jgibson000%40comcast.net>

      John N. Lupia III
      New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
      God Bless Everyone

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
        David Cavanagh wrote:

        > Jeffrey,
        >
        > I'm afraid I have no answer to your question, but a counter-question
        > immediately popped into my mind: if that is so, what effect does it have
        > on our understanding of the phrase "hallowed be your name" in the Lord's
        > prayer?

        If the one who hallows the name is God, then there are grounds for saying
        that the LP is "eschatological" in orientation -- the object of the prayer is
        (as Jermias wanted to claim) to pray down into the present that which
        properly belongs to the eschaton.

        But if the ones who are to hallow the name (through martyrdom) are those who
        pray the prayer, then the prayer (or at least this petition) is not
        eschatological, and the aim of the petition is, as is that of all of the
        other prayers that the synoptic Jesus is presented as urging on his
        disciples, for divine aid to remain faithful now, to avoid apostasy in the
        face of a present crisis, to be willing to take up the cross that Jesus says
        is the fate of those who follow him..

        Jeffrey
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
          John Lupia wrote:

          > Hi Jeffrey:
          >
          > As you know martyrdom in the first century meant "to
          > witness" and the leaders of the Church who bore
          > witness often to the point of death were esteemed and
          > revered. Eusebius of Caesarea wrote about this based
          > on oral tradition : "It is told that Paul was beheaded
          > by him (Nero) and Peter crucified at Rome; and this is
          > now confirmed by the splendid monuments to the names
          > of Peter and Paul still visited in the cemeteries of
          > the city of Rome. For the rest, Gaius, an ecclesiastic
          > who lived at the time when Zepherinus was Bishop of
          > Rome (199-217), in writing against Proclus, leader of
          > the Montanist sect (Kataphrygians), speaks of the
          > places where the sacred remains of the said apostles
          > were deposited: "I can show you the trophies of the
          > Apostles. If you will go to the Vatican or along the
          > Via Ostiensis you will find the trophies of the
          > founders of this Church" (Hist. Eccl. II, 25: P.L. 20,
          > 207-210).

          Thanks for this.

          But I fail to see how it is in any way relevant to, let alone answers, the particular question that I asked,
          namely, if there is any evidence, as I remember there being, that in **first century Judaism** to "hallow the
          name" was thought to be synonymous with, or was known to entail, being willing to face/actually undergoing
          martyrdom.

          JG

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

          God is not a chauvinist
        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
            Hi Jeffrey:

            I misunderstood your question construing it to ask
            about first century reverence or hallowing the name of
            the martyr. Hence, I cited Eusebius who wrote
            “monuments to the names of Peter and Paul.”

            In answer to your query then, try looking at Shmuel
            Shepkaru, "From after Death to Afterlife: Martyrdom
            and Its Recompense," AJS Review, Vol. 24, No. 1 (1999)
            : 1-44.

            Perhaps related to your query is the ancient belief on
            the power of a name. See Watson E. Mills, Gen. Ed.,
            Mercer Dictionary of the Bible. In the main entry
            "God," see sub article :"The Names of God," 336
            (available online at Google Books)

            John

            --- "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
            wrote:

            > John Lupia wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Jeffrey:
            > >
            > > As you know martyrdom in the first century meant
            > > witness" and the leaders of the Church who bore
            > > witness often to the point of death were esteemed
            > and
            > > revered. Eusebius of Caesarea wrote about this
            > based
            > > on oral tradition : "It is told that Paul was
            > beheaded
            > > by him (Nero) and Peter crucified at Rome; and
            > this is
            > > now confirmed by the splendid monuments to the
            > names
            > > of Peter and Paul still visited in the cemeteries
            > of
            > > the city of Rome. For the rest, Gaius, an
            > ecclesiastic
            > > who lived at the time when Zepherinus was Bishop
            > of
            > > Rome (199-217), in writing against Proclus, leader
            > of
            > > the Montanist sect (Kataphrygians), speaks of the
            > > places where the sacred remains of the said
            > apostles
            > > were deposited: "I can show you the trophies of
            > the
            > > Apostles. If you will go to the Vatican or along
            > the
            > > Via Ostiensis you will find the trophies of the
            > > founders of this Church" (Hist. Eccl. II, 25: P.L.
            > 20,
            > > 207-210).
            > >

            > Thanks for this.
            >
            > But I fail to see how it is in any way relevant to,
            > let alone answers, the particular question that I
            > asked,
            > namely, if there is any evidence, as I remember
            > there being, that in **first century Judaism** to
            > "hallow the
            > name" was thought to be synonymous with, or was
            > known to entail, being willing to face/actually
            > undergoing
            > martyrdom.
            >
            > JG
            >
            > --
            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            > Chicago, Illinois
            > e-mail jgibson000@...
            >
            > God is not a chauvinist

            John N. Lupia III
            New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
            God Bless Everyone

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
          • John Lupia
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
              In the Shepkaru article the words "sanctification of
              the Divine name" are used expressing the Hebrew
              qiddush ha-Shem. In footnote 2 on page 1 he cites : E.
              Grunewald, "Qiddush ha-Shem : An Examination of a
              Term," Molad, 24 (1968): 476-484 (Hebrew); S. Safrai,
              "Qiddush ha-Shem In the Teachings of the Tannaim,"
              Zion, 43 (1979) : 28-42

              John

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
            • Jeffrey B. Gibson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
                Following up on my own question, I see that the article in TDNT on hAGIAZW
                (see below) points me to at least one author who supports the idea that
                martyrdom was a special way of "hallowing the name", i.e., G.E. Moore
                _Judaism_ Vol. 2 105 f.

                The entry also cites Midrash on Ps. 16:2 (61a).

                Is this Midrash on line anywhere?

                Jeffrey

                The holiness of the name of God, i.e., of God Himself, is
                particularly characterized by the expression “to hallow the name
                (of God).” This is often found in prayers with God as subject:
                “Hallow Thy name” (Tanna de-bē Elijjahu, 21, E), or, the same
                in substance though not in expression: “Hallowed be Thy name,”
                synonymous with “Glorified be Thy name.” The two latter terms
                are found together at the beginning of the Kaddish prayer:
                יִתְקַדַּשׁ וְיִתְגַדַּל שְׁמָךְ
                רַבָּא “Hallowed and glorified be Thy great name.” “God
                sanctifies His name by showing His holiness to the world,”36
                 and by forcing men to acknowledge His name. Quite often,
                however, it is said of men, though usually only of Israelites, that
                they hallow the name of God. They do this by “so living that men
                must see and say that the God of Israel is the true God,” and
                especially by obeying the will of God in keeping the commands of
                the Torah and studying to achieve a blameless walk in the eyes of
                the world. Thus the hallowing of the name (קִידּוּשׁ
                הַשֵּׁם) is “the chief principle and motive of ethical
                action in Judaism.”

                --
                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                1500 W. Pratt Blvd.