Q poll

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
      Hi all,
      I've just added a poll on my little blog asking voters to indicate what their institutions teach regarding the Q hypothesis. Comments welcome.

      http://sourcetheory.blogspot.com/

      Thanks,
      Tim Lewis

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
        Thanks for the interesting poll, Tim. I always enjoy a good poll :)
        I can't help wondering whether the options are a little too
        restrictive and in two ways: (1) I was taught all sides of the
        question and encouraged to come to my own answer on the basis of the
        evidence -- that does not appear on the list; I try to do the same
        thing for my own students, though I add the disclaimer that it is
        possible that my presentation of other theories may be inadvertently
        influenced by my own preferred theory; (2) the way that the
        alternatives are described is a little forrthright, e.g. "Q is a
        figment of the imagination (someone plagiarized)" would not be the way
        that I would characterize Q sceptical work in my teaching, and I tend
        towards a certain sympathy with the Q sceptical position.

        Best wishes
        Mark

        --
        Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
        Associate Professor

        http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
      • Tim Lewis
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
          Yes I realised afterwards that I hadn't made clear what the question was
          because I probably need two questions. I will need to update the poll so as
          to distinguish between what the Mt-Lk common material is believed to be (as
          one's preferred hypothesis) and what the 'Q hypothesis' is supposed to be
          (i.e. what is the Q hypothesis--regardless whether one decides for or
          against it).

          I think there is a relationship between the identification of (a) what the Q
          hypothesis is and (b) what the material is concluded to be. Your response
          indicates that currently the poll reads as though asking (b) whereas I
          actually wanted to ask (a) i.e. whether there are many other institutions
          (like mine) out there teaching that the Q hypothesis merely represents a
          bunch of oral traditions [and as an extention into (b) some scholars take a
          more extreme perspective by seeing a united set of written materials].

          Perhaps "Q is a figment of the imagination (someone plagiarized)" spoils my
          intention for asking (a) since it would be a (b) type answer...I'll have
          another go at it!
          Thanks Mark for the comments,
          Tim

          > Thanks for the interesting poll, Tim. I always enjoy a good poll :)
          > I can't help wondering whether the options are a little too
          > restrictive and in two ways: (1) I was taught all sides of the
          > question and encouraged to come to my own answer on the basis of the
          > evidence -- that does not appear on the list; I try to do the same
          > thing for my own students, though I add the disclaimer that it is
          > possible that my presentation of other theories may be inadvertently
          > influenced by my own preferred theory; (2) the way that the
          > alternatives are described is a little forrthright, e.g. "Q is a
          > figment of the imagination (someone plagiarized)" would not be the way
          > that I would characterize Q sceptical work in my teaching, and I tend
          > towards a certain sympathy with the Q sceptical position.
          >
          > Best wishes
          > Mark
          >
          > --
          > Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
          > Associate Professor
          > Duke University
          > Department of Religion
          > Gray Building / Box 90964
          > Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
          > Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530
          >
          > http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
          >

          > --
          > 14/08/2007 5:19 PM

        • Eric Eve
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
            Mark Goodacre wrote:

            Thanks for the interesting poll, Tim. I always enjoy a good poll :)
            I can't help wondering whether the options are a little too
            restrictive and in two ways: (1) I was taught all sides of the
            question and encouraged to come to my own answer on the basis of the
            evidence -- that does not appear on the list; I try to do the same
            thing for my own students, though I add the disclaimer that it is
            possible that my presentation of other theories may be inadvertently
            influenced by my own preferred theory; (2) the way that the
            alternatives are described is a little forrthright, e.g. "Q is a
            figment of the imagination (someone plagiarized)" would not be the way
            that I would characterize Q sceptical work in my teaching, and I tend
            towards a certain sympathy with the Q sceptical position.

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15623871/grpspId=1705074057/msgI
            d=873/stime=1187184419/nc1=3848642/nc2=4706133/nc3=4776371>
            In addition to those points (both of which I'd endorse), I'd also be a bit
            leery of saying what "my institution" teaches. We're a group of pretty
            independent-minded scholars with a variety of views on the Synoptic Problem,
            and I very much doubt we all teach the same thing. There's certainly no
            official party line on the matter which the institution endorses (not even a
            party line that says undergraduates have to be taught about the Synoptic
            Problem or Q at all - judging by some examination answers I've read in the
            past I'd guess some aren't).

            Maybe the tutorial system at Oxford makes it particularly difficult (or
            particularly meaningless) to give an institutional answer to the question in
            any case. I certainly try to give my own students both sides of the
            question, but they know perfectly well what I think and that may well often
            influence what they think.

            In any case, I took a look at your survey but felt unable to respond because
            none of the categories seemed to fit

            -- Eric
            ----------------------------------
            Eric Eve
            Research Fellow and Tutor in Theology
            Harris Manchester College, Oxford
            http://users.ox.ac.uk/~manc0049/

            __

          • Tim Lewis
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
              Hi Eric,
              Perhaps the survey's usefulness may still be salvaged. After Mark's response I added the following clarification to the poll:
              "This poll only asks what your institution claimed the Q hypothesis to be not what the Mt-Lk common material might be (select more than one if needed)..."
              The intention was to try to find out what is being taught/heard about what the Q hypothesis is (not which hypotheses lecturers prefer/espouse). One could tick/check all the responses if close enough...perhaps the poll would have been better served if I had used actual quotes from scholars concerning what is the Q hypothesis and then left a spot for "Other"?
              Cheers,
              Tim

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
                Tim,

                Thanks for the clarifications. I think the question inevitably plays
                into what people's preferred source theories are, though, especially
                "Q is a figment of the imagination (someone plagiarized)". Even in
                its revised form, it supposes that "institutions teach" a particular
                thing, rather than lay out the range of alternatives. I'm also not
                too keen on "someone plagiarized" for just one of the options. Why is
                "Q was a single written source", for example, not also "someone
                plagiarized"? Is it because two people plagiarized?

                All best
                Mark