Re: [Synoptic-L] Papias

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007

      In my studies I frequently came across the idea that Papias frowned on Mark, because his order didn' t match the Johannine order. As I recall it was explained that John placed the entry in Jerusalem early in hs Gospel in contradition to the synoptics.
      However, I myself came to the conclusion that 'taxis' is connected with the Jewish feasts. LS shows that taxis may be a military term OR a term used for the order of priestly sacrifice. It sparked my research in the at the time hotly debated sacrificial calender question concerning Pesach (Passover) and Shabuoth (Pentecost): the socalled Boethusian question in rabbinica.
      I came to the conclusion that the 'sabbata' in the first chapters of Mark refer to the seven Pentecostal weeks on the Jewish festival calendar. Thus Mark started with Pentecost and ends up with Pesach. Thus Mark didnot write in the right order.
      If interested I'll be happy to refer you to the pages of my study.