Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: The Johannine Solution

    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2007
      To: Synoptic
      In Response and Farewell to: Kym Smith
      On: Johannine Solution
      From: Bruce

      I think I have said enough by now to indicate why I did not care to respond
      at the time to Kym's earlier posting on his Johannine Solution. From my
      merely personal point of view, the present discussion has reached the point
      of reiteration. Just one more comment by way of farewell, and then I have
      done.

      KYM: No difference was of no account, but contentions between true and false
      apostles is one thing, 'ideological disagreements' between true apostles
      would have destroyed the Church.

      BRUCE: I suspect that in fact they *did* destroy the Church, perhaps more
      than once. I think, for example, that the thing that Acts represents in its
      history of the Church as original, primitive Christianity, the thing
      presided over by James the Lord's Brother, to the extent that it ever
      existed otherwise than as a conflation of two different lines of Church
      development, is not only different from, but discontinuous with, the Church
      we now have. The large scenario of Acts itself, as I read it, makes that
      very point, and emphasizes that very discontinuity. What began as a Jesus
      movement among Jews, and within Judaism, ended up as a Gentile Christianity
      which was rejected by Jews, and which itself rejected all Jewish elements,
      save those which were transformed symbolically into the possession, indeed
      the heritage, of Gentile Christianity alone.

      But now I think I should relinquish my place at the table to any one, or to
      any six, who would like to engage some of the points Kym raises (whether or
      not Kym himself is available to respond), but may have hesitated to do so
      while it seemed that Kym and I were having a private conversation. The
      conversation, or at any rate the topic, is now open.

      http://www.umass.edu/wsp