Re: [Synoptic-L] ascripture

  • Dennis Dean Carpenter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2007
      Thanks for the tip on reply to the group, Bruce.

      I like your modern parallels. I would, however, choose The Stratemeyer
      Syndicate as a relatively modern parallel. In those many books published
      (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Tom Swift and others), none were
      actually penned, as far as I know, by the author named, but to this day
      children are fans of "Dixon," "Hope," "Keene," etc.

      I think one of the issues in scholarship today is when "at the time" was.
      Were Luke and Acts written after the Apostolic Age, leading into the
      Apologetic Age, as some have proposed? Was Acts written, to a large part, to
      counteract Marcion and to "clean up" Paul for the orthodoxy (or
      proto-orthodoxy)? Can not the uncontested Paulines be contested as being
      later than assumed? I would submit that "at the time" has quite a bit to do
      with the synoptic problem, which seems to become less and less a problem
      when the distance between the writing of Matthew and Luke is widened.

      (I realize you were talking about 2nd Peter, so I'll leave it there.)

      Dennis

      Dennis Dean Carpenter
      Dahlonega, Ga.