School of James

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2007
      To: Synoptic
      On: School of James
      From: Bruce

      Seriously (for a moment), the sense I get from what seems to me to be the
      most judicious scholarly opinion is that we have two time series:

      School of James
      James > Jude > 2 Peter
      School of Peter
      1 Peter > 2 Peter [plus Gospel of Peter somewhere in the offing]

      That is, what we seem to have here is a sort of convergence of two real or
      claimed apostolic traditions. Sorting out and filling in these relationships
      is probably going to be useful in giving context for certain points that
      arise in connection with the Synoptic Problem; that is, it is going to be
      material for solving the Synoptic Problem. But I take it as obvious that
      such an investigation would be out of bounds for the "Synoptic" list as
      presently defined.

      I thus intend this as my last post on the subject, before taking the subject
      elsewhere. If anyone is interested in continuing the topic, I invite them to
      write me privately. Thanks for everyone's forbearance to this point, and
      best wishes for what, in the US at any rate, is about to be a holiday
      weekend.