Blessings and woes

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2006
      It's several years now since I started trying to reconstruct what I now
      prefer to call the logia (alias sQ), and I've rather belatedly realized that
      there was probably a one-to-one relationship between the blessings (alias
      beatitudes) in the saying I labelled A1, and the woes in the sayings
      labelled D1 to D7.

      Given that there were seven woes, I had always been suspicious of the
      standard view that the early sayings source had only four blessings, a
      suspicion which tended to be confirmed by Davies & Allison's assertion that
      Mt 5:5,7,8 and 9 "do not display typical Matthean vocabulary or interests"
      (Matthew, I, 434, though "peacemakers" is surely Matthean, c.f. Mt 26:52).

      Another hint from Davies & Allison has led to a small rearrangement in the
      order of the seven blessings, and they now correspond one-to-one with the
      seven woes, as they must surely have done in the original.

      For the revised English text see:

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_sQet.html

      For an explanation of the correspondence, see note on saying A1 in:

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_ntsQ.html

      Within the 72 sayings there now appear to be 102 links (57 between adjacent
      sayings, 36 linking the 36 pairs, 7 linking the blessings and the woes, and
      2 constituting 'frames' in the mission section), and this is not counting
      any links which might have been lost in the NT authors' translations from
      the original Aramaic.

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2006
        Now that 2006 has come and gone, I'd like to ask the list
        for your ideas as to the best piece of synoptic criticsm
        for the year 2006.

        Stephen
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...