Directionality Determinations (pre-determined)

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2006
      --- "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
      wrote:

      > > As a text critic (TC) he does consider it
      > > in evaluating internal evidence so we cannot say
      > he
      > > NEVER spoke about it. (cf. Textual Commentary on
      > the
      > > Greek NT, 14).
      > >

      > Here is p. 14 from Metzger's Textual Commentary (2nd
      > ed.). I an unable to detect where
      > on this page Metzger does what you say he does.
      > Perhaps, you'd be so kind as to use
      > those fine eyes of yours that are so adept at
      > spotting (alleged) spelling mistakes, and
      > point out to me what my aging eyes do not see.

      Jeffrey:

      I owe you an apology for taxing your aging eyes. It
      was my scribal error of accepting a text as
      trustworthy that led to this mistake and my sloth in
      not checking the source myself to verify it. I found
      the wrong citation in my notes drawn from a discussion
      years ago on another list by one of the moderators of
      this list who enjoys TC. Anyway, the error is mine and
      it should have read page xxviii (in the Corrected
      edition, 1975) in the discussion on II. Internal
      Evidence (Criteria) 2 (b) The priority of the Gospel
      according to Mark. However, I did say it was Metger's
      criteria for evaluating Internal Evidence, which
      should have led to the discovery of my misquoting the
      page number.

      So, as we can all see, it is abundantly and amply
      clear that Metzger and the Committee of TC voters on
      the text were indeed influenced by Markan priority,
      take Markan priority as FACT, allow it to shape, color
      and form their thinking when they evaluate texts to
      make their determinations and final decisions
      regarding the textual traditions and choose which
      among them (in their way of thinking) comes closest to
      the original.

      Cheers,

      John

      John N. Lupia, III
      Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA; Beirut, Lebanon
      Fax: (732) 349-3910
      God Bless America