Re: [Synoptic-L] Early Wisdom Note

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
      Quoting E Bruce Brooks <brooks@...>:

      > To: Synoptic
      > On: Early Wisdom
      > From: Bruce
      >
      > The question of whether certain little marks in the St Mark's Monastery
      > Isaiah Scroll, 1QIsa(a), are or are not derivative from Chinese characters
      > has surfaced yet again on another E-list. I am on record as saying, some
      > years ago, that they look rather like it, allowing for unlettered copying of
      > a perhaps already none too clear original. [...big snip]
      There is a certain sprinkling of word and idea phenomena in the
      > Mediterranean world, just about this time (shall we say, late 01c to early
      > 1c), all of which are curiously evocative to someone familiar with the
      > socially lower edge of a slightly earlier Chinese culture. [...big snip]

      The Toronto Star 4 Nov 2006 article by Neil Altman, though, states:
      "In later scholarly reports, Bruce Brooks, research professor of Chinese and
      director of an international group of sinologists at the University of
      Massachusetts at Amherst, confirmed Mair's findings and other possible Chinese
      characters on some of the Dead Sea Scrolls." And Mair's findings, according to
      the article, date the text later than "late 01c to early 1c." Neil Altman
      claims that the Isaiah scroll--widely, and I think properly, accepted
      as dating
      to the second temple period--is medieval.

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2006
        I don't have all the names down, and I'm sure someone else's camera
        did a better job, but here's my photo of the E-listers gathering at
        SBL in Washington, D.C.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/weaks/307202319/in/set-72157594393574329/

        --------------------------------
        Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
        Minister, Raytown Christian Church, Raytown, MO
        Ph.D. Cand., Brite Divinity School
        TCU, Ft. Worth, TX

        The Macintosh Biblioblog http://macbiblioblog.blogspot.com
        "All things Macintosh for the Bible Scholar"
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
          At 08:58 PM 11/26/2006 -0600, Joseph Weaks wrote:
          >I don't have all the names down, and I'm sure someone else's camera
          >did a better job, but here's my photo of the E-listers gathering at
          >SBL in Washington, D.C.
          >
          >http://www.flickr.com/photos/weaks/307202319/in/set-72157594393574329/

          Joe,

          Thanks for that. To fill in some of the missing names, I believe the
          following people are represented:

          Front Row, Left to Right: Frank Jacks, Gordon Raynal, Jeffrey Gibson, Stephen Carlson, Jacob Knee

          Middle Row, Left to Right: Jim Davila and ???

          Back Row, Left to Right: ???, Julian Jensen, Steve Black, Ken Olson (partial), Joe Weaks, Gail Dawson, and George Kiraz

          Somebody please help us out on the two missing names.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
            "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

            > Thanks for that. To fill in some of the missing names, I believe the
            > following people are represented:
            >
            > Front Row, Left to Right: Frank Jacks, Gordon Raynal, Jeffrey Gibson, Stephen Carlson, Jacob Knee
            >
            > Middle Row, Left to Right: Jim Davila and ???

            Bill Skelton

            Yours,

            Jeffrey
            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
              "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

              > Back Row, Left to Right: ???,

              I think this is Stan Gundry, Senior Vice President and Editor-in-Chief at Zondervan Press.

              Or is he me, just as you are?

              Jeffrey
              --
              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
                Thanks, I made the corrections.
                Joe Weaks

                I think this is Stan Gundry, Senior Vice President and Editor-in-Chief at Zondervan Press.

                Or is he me, just as you are?

                Jeffrey
                --
                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)