Henry Owen

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2006
      To: Synoptic
      On: Henry Owen
      From: Bruce

      There was a question earlier about the book by Henry Owen, familiar to all
      as one of the precursor names on Stephen Carlson's Synoptic Problem web
      site, but perhaps read by few.

      I happen to be looking at a copy, and thought it might be of some interest
      to transcribe the final summary page. It goes like this:

      A SCHEME OF THE TIMES, PLACES, AND OCCASIONS OF WRITING THE GOSPELS,
      ACCORDING TO THE FOREGOING ACCOUNT.

      St Matthew's, [written at] Jerusalem, about [the year] 38, for the use of
      the Jewish converts.

      St Luke's, Corinth, about 53, for the use of the Gentile converts.

      St Mark's, Rome, about 63, for the use of Christians at large.

      St John's, Ephesus, about 69, to confute the Cerinthian and other Heresies.

      -------

      Apparently it is not terribly easy, at least in some places, to get a look
      at Owen. If somebody has a question about it, one with a reasonably compact
      answer, I will be glad to take it on.