Re: [Synoptic-L] Funk in The Fourth R, January-February 1995, p.9

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2006
      Jeffrey,

      Having read four of Funk's major Historical Jesus books, I'm finding it hard to believe he said this in any context. I share your interest! Maybe the key phrase is "any possible doubt"--which is a caveat one might put around anything one claims to know. Sorry that my subscription doesn't go back that far.

      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...> wrote:
      Can anyone here supply with the context -- i.e., what Funk says both
      before and after the following statement that appeared in The Fourth R,
      January-February 1995, p.9?

      “As an historian, I do not know for certain that Jesus really existed,
      that he is anything more than the figment of some overactive
      imaginations. In my view, there is nothing about Jesus of Nazareth that
      we can know beyond any possible doubt....And the Jesus that scholars
      have isolated in the ancient gospels, gospels that are bloated with the
      will to believe, may turn out to be only another image that merely
      reflects our deepest longings.”

      I may end up needing the whole of his article! Can anyone who has it
      scan it and send it to me?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)