Re: Aramaic Salt

  • Gentile, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      Ron,

      I just wanted to add a little to my comment -

      If I am right about "salt" in Mark,

      http://www.davegentile.com/synoptics/Mark.html

      then the changes to the salt saying from Mark to Matthew are part of a
      battle about the importance of OT law. Matthew clearly upholds the law.
      And on my page I argue that while the other side of this debate might
      possibly be represented in Mark, it also easily could have been
      represented by groups (such as proto-Gnostics) misusing Mark, and not
      reflecting his original intent. We need not read Mark as being against
      upholding OT law, we just need to note that he could easily be
      interpreted that way.

      I have Mark reading

      Now, if salt (of the old covenant (Lv. 2:13)) were to become salt-less
      (unacceptable) in nature, [EAN DE TO hALAS ANALON GENHTAI] in whom will
      it be seasoned (preserved)? [EN TINI AUTO ARTUSETE]

      Matthew responds with EAN DE ALAS MWRANQH EN TINI ALISQHSETAI - But if
      (you who are the) salt were to become "foolish", in whom (EN TINI) will
      you "become salty" (be made acceptable to God)? (EAN DE ALAS MWRANQH EN
      TINI ALISQHSETAI) and goes on to defend OT law.

      Suppose (as I believe) Matthew did craft his version of this saying
      himself, based on re-writing Mark. He would have to be claiming that
      Mark somehow got Jesus wrong on this point. Matthew's word choice of
      MWRANQH "foolish" could then be very crafty indeed. Matthew might then
      claim that Jesus had said "foolish" and Mark must have heard
      "tasteless", and so this is why Mark got it wrong.

      Dave Gentile

      Sr. Systems Engineer/Statistician

      B.S./M.S. Physics

      M.S. Finance (ABD Management Science)