Re: [Synoptic-L] The Gadarene/Gerasene Demoniac[s]

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2006
      Jeffrey,

      I guess I didn't think about it as a dichotymy. I believe Mk, Mt and Lk (and Jn) are apologists, or evangelists, or theologians. They want to create winsome pictures of Jesus. So on that I agree with Bruce.

      Mk's approach differs from the others, though, in that his rhetorical power is unleashed not in the words Jesus speaks but in the compelling tale Mk tells. For Mk saga is apologia. The Jesus in this story is worth following.

      Bruce wrote:

      Let me end by putting it this way: Are the Evangelists
      writing a saga, in which case narrative excitement
      would be a primary goal? Or are they writing a
      religious apologia, in which case narrative cogency
      and increasing reverence would be more plausible
      authorial motives?

      For my part, I feel no hesitation in suspecting that
      the latter is more likely to be true.

      Chuck responded:

      I think Mark was indeed trying to write a saga, or
      short story. I like very much the analogy of the
      screenplay of an action movie. Jesus is a hero.
      Actions matter more than words. Little dialog. Lot's
      of power encounters, inevitably won by Jesus. I think
      narrative excitement is a primary goal of Mk's, and
      much of the wording differences between him and Mt/Lk
      are due to these differing goals.

      Jeffery then asked:

      Just to be clear, Chuck, but you are disagreeing with
      Bruce, right? He says "apologia." You say "saga." Or
      did you read Bruce to mean "saga"?

      Just checking.

      .