Aramaic "salt"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2006
      Has anyone ever wondered why Matthew places the saying about salt second
      only to the beatitudes in his Sermon, and indeed in his set of discourses?

      I suggest that it is because Matthew, taking these sayings from an Aramaic
      sayings source, retained the original order for the first few sayings, and
      that in the original, "salt" (Aramaic root MLX) was reminiscent of "kingdom"
      (Aramaic root MLK).
      The kingdom of God is the main theme of the sayings and is mentioned on the
      first line: "Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God."