Four Factions: Four Gospel traditions

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15 5:32 AM
      Four Gospels Four Factions

      Four Factions Four Gospels

      I have suggested for a very long time that students of
      the New Testament Literature need to take seriously
      the developments in Corinth, as issues of division
      that continued on in the church even after the
      destruction of Jerusalem. The four factions addressed
      by Paul and including adherents to his own brand of
      Christianity, did not simply vanish out of sight
      because of his reprimand. A close examination of the
      evidence in the texts of the New Testament clearly
      indicates that the same sort of allegiances were in
      effect at the time the four canonical Gospels were
      written. History indicates that schisms such as these
      to not tend to dissipate over time they tend to
      crystallize. As evidence of this fact I offer the
      Eastern and Western rights of the Catholic Church and
      the thousands of Protestant denominations we have
      today. This very list and group owes its existence to
      the differences between those early factions sited in
      1Corinthians as I will demonstrate. Had it not been
      for these four factions and the crystallization of
      their beliefs over time, there would be no Synoptic
      problem

      The group that aligned with Paul are clearly
      represented in the Gospel of Mark. Anyone that has
      read my posts to this list will not be surprised by
      this statement. If you have not read my posts on this
      issue I would recommend you take a look at post number
      28 on this new list regarding the Gospel of Mark and
      its connection to Paul.

      The Cephas faction would be a group that thought most
      highly of Cephas or Peter. There can be no mistake
      that the Gospel of Matthew fills the bill for that
      sort of thinking. The Gospel of Matthew has such an
      elevated presentation of Peter that he has become the
      sole authority of the Christian movement, The rock
      upon which the church is built and the only one to
      hold the keys binding and loosing in heaven and on
      earth.
      Even a blind man having heard the text read only one
      time would know which Gospel belonged to this faction.

      The Apollos Group is also rather easy to identify. We
      look for information on Apollos first Acts as that is
      where we can find information about his origins and
      habits.

      Acts 18:24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of
      Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man,
      well versed in the scriptures. 25 He had been
      instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent
      in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things
      concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of
      John. This is a very informative passage in several
      issues but for now lets take just the facts. Apollos
      was from Alexandrian home of Philo. He was eloquent
      and new the Septuagint well. The LXX was the bible of
      Alexandria in the first century. Apollos’ teaching and
      preaching was rooted in the baptism of John. The
      Gospel of John is the only Gospel that begins with an
      eloquent and philosophical oration on the Logos a
      favorite subject among the Jews of Alexandria. It is
      the only Gospel that even hints at Baptism being part
      of Jesus preaching. Though Jesus himself did not do
      the baptizing. Know we have identified three
      traditions belonging to three of the factions leaving
      only one to represent the Christ Party

      Those who said they were of Christ have their
      expression in Luke/Acts. A Diaspora oriented Gospel
      whose theology is most clearly represented in the
      speeches of Peter, Stephen, James. By calling
      themselves followers of Christ they are emphasizing to
      important points. 1.) They want to say that they are
      not following any individual, 2.) they are identifying
      with the Greek form of Judaism that came to recognize
      Jesus as the Christ or messiah to the Greek speaking
      Jews. They sought to proselytize throughout the
      Mediterranean world, “Judea, Samaria and the uttermost
      parts of the earth.” Following the example of Paul
      they made their appeal to the Synagogues in every
      corner of the known world. Often coming to the very
      congregations that Paul had established and demanding
      that they circumcise. The had very strong connections
      to the Cephas faction because of a strong Torah
      orientation. In Antioch the Cephas faction essentially
      joined forces against those that followed Paul over
      the ritual of celebrating the Eucharist. The core
      issue was keeping the Essene tradition of separating
      from the gentile converts for the sacred meal which
      Peter had not done until the circumcision party came
      to Antioch and for which Paul called him a hypocrite.
      There are two passages that deal with this event.
      Galatians 2:11-16 and Mark 7:1-15 Mark offers more
      detail on the controversy than Paul, because he is not
      addressing the immediate matter of the Jewish faction
      trying to impose circumcision on his Gentile converts
      as was Paul in Galatians.

      THE ISSUES THAT DIVIDED THESE FOUR FACTIONS:

      WHO WERE THE GOD APPOINTED AND INSPIRED LEADERS IN THE
      WAY?

      APOSTOLIC AUTHORITY: what was it and who had it?

      THE LAW OF MOSES: To what degree was it necessary to
      keep the Law of Moses including circumcision.

      PROSELYTIZING/PREACHING The origin of the preaching
      commission. To whom were they to take the message,
      what were they to take with them, and what was
      required of those who wanted to join the movement?
      (The two Jewish factions followed the Essene teaching
      of the Twelve as the foundation of the New Israel and
      held that only they had the true commission to
      proselytize and appoint leaders in the mission
      gatherings).

      HOW PREACHERS WERE TO SUSTAIN THEMSELVES (and their
      female partners).

      THE CELEBRATION OF THE EUCHARIST:
      Was it to continue in the tradition of John and the
      Essenes, as a ritual re-enactment of daily temple
      sacrifice. (after John’s death the additional
      significance of a memorial meal became part of this
      celebration). Early disciples of John and the
      community called the Way appear to have celebrated it
      this way. Today the RCC does this to some extent in
      the “Sacrifice of the Mass.”. Ceremonial washing
      before the meal and separation from the untested
      believers was part of the original practice and part
      of the Essene attempt to keep it close to the temple
      form of worship. The Essene community at Qumran
      required the members to follow the community rule for
      one year before partaking of the sacred meal.

      WHERE WAS THE PRESENCE OF GOD TO BE IDENTIFIED IN THIS
      NEW FORM OF JUDAISM?
      Was God present in the bread (loaves of the presence)
      or in the spoken word? Mark contends that the presence
      of God was manifested in the Word not in the physical
      bread of the Eucharist. Mark also takes the position
      that since God is in the Word and not the bread there
      is no reason to keep the Eucharist from the Greeks or
      from new believers.

      A careful examination of the Synoptics reveals these
      points of differences to a greater or lesser degree
      depending on how much attention Mark gives to them.
      One must always bear in mind that the dominant faction
      came to be the group that followed Cephas and to a
      lesser degree the sister faction Christ Party. This is
      precisely why Matthew and Luke were preferred over the
      Gospel of Mark in the early church. The Gospel of John
      was more favorable to Pauline theology and treasured
      by the Eastern (Greek) branch of the church.
      Unfortunately for the fourth Gospel, for that same
      reason both the Gospel of Mark and John suffered early
      assaults on their text by the two dominant factions.
      Mark however, had put in place a copy protection
      scheme that helped it survive most of the attempts to
      change the text forcing the rival factions to use the
      inclusion method for any material they found valuable
      in controlling the Greek churches started by Paul.
      John was not as fortunate and was severely redacted by
      the other two factions, especially on the role of
      Peter and on the issues related to the Eucharist and
      to the twelve.

      This formulation has been tested against the patterns
      of numbers I have presented in the text of Mark and
      does coincide with the patterns of discrepancies in
      the intended and actual count of the numbers on words
      related to the key issues.

      I cannot express how appreciative I am to have a forum
      like this to present this material. It is so
      refreshing not to be banned or censored. I salute the
      moderators for there resolve to Make this list and
      group open and accessible to new ideas in this way.

      Thak you,

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15 5:40 AM
        To all:

        The idea that divisions and factions existed in
        Christianity immediately springing from its birth is
        reported in the NT and is self-evident. The idea that
        the NT itself is eclectic, i.e., disparate composition
        each written by a different faction is not only
        illogical but unsupportable, but seemingly defensible
        by rhetorical argument.

        John

        John N. Lupia, III
        Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
        Fax: (732) 349-3910
        God Bless America

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Richard Richmond
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15 6:23 AM
          John Lupia wrote:

          To all:

          The idea that divisions and factions existed in
          Christianity immediately springing from its birth is
          reported in the NT and is self-evident. The idea that
          the NT itself is eclectic, i.e., disparate composition
          each written by a different faction is not only
          illogical but unsupportable, but seemingly defensible
          by rhetorical argument.

          John

          John N. Lupia, III

          John,

          I argue from the evidence of the texts, not
          rhetorically. Unfortunately this forum does not
          provide for one on one sentence by sentence debate.
          Your position that these factions ceased to exist and
          are not discernable in the Gospel documents is
          illogical and your position is indefensible as I see
          it. But then, you offer no defense for your position
          and no evidence. Nevertheless thank you for your
          comments.

          Rick

          Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15 11:13 AM
            --- Richard Richmond <rickr2889@...> wrote:

            > John Lupia wrote:
            >
            > To all:
            >
            > The idea that divisions and factions existed in
            > Christianity immediately springing from its birth is
            > reported in the NT and is self-evident. The idea
            > that
            > the NT itself is eclectic, i.e., disparate
            > composition
            > each written by a different faction is not only
            > illogical but unsupportable, but seemingly
            > defensible
            > by rhetorical argument.
            >
            > John
            >
            > John N. Lupia, III

            > John,
            >
            > I argue from the evidence of the texts, not
            > rhetorically.

            Then make it QED

            Unfortunately this forum does not
            > provide for one on one sentence by sentence debate.

            I guess you have never read the archives.

            > Your position that these factions ceased to exist
            > and
            > are not discernable in the Gospel documents

            Please re-read my opening statement since you very
            evidently misread it.

            is
            > illogical and your position is indefensible as I see
            > it.

            If someone were to have said what you thought was said
            I would be in agreement.

            But then, you offer no defense for your position
            > and no evidence. Nevertheless thank you for your
            > comments.

            Actually, this is projection, and it is what I find
            your argument doing.

            John

            John N. Lupia, III
            Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
            Fax: (732) 349-3910
            God Bless America

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Myron Kauk
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15 3:53 PM
              I'm coming to this discussion late, but must say that I find the fourfold
              identification

              Mark - Paul

              Matthew - Peter

              John - Apollos

              Luke - the Christ group

              very odd in light of the consistent patristic witness that associates

              Mark with Peter

              Luke with Paul

              Luke, in particular, is the companion volume to Acts, where Paul is
              undoubtedly the hero.

              Grace be with you,

              Myron C. Kauk

              myronkauk@...