Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Mt/Lk Directionality

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2006
      Leonard,

      I'm glad we kept talking, as I agree with your summary.

      I guess I would make a distinction between writing and editing, the first involving free-composition (as I believe Mt did with the birth narratives), the second involving shaping (including organizing) material from sources.

      Chuck

      LEONARD: When I said Matthew "is a creative writer throughout" I didn't mean to imply that he invented words for Jesus. In the case of the sayings of Jesus material, he most likely was drawing on existing sources, but his creativity was engaged in the arrangement of these sayings into and in five major discourses. I just don't think he changed project (or personality) between chapters 1 and 2 and chapter 3. The transition is far too smooth to make sense of that hypothesis.