Ancient Copy Protection

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2005
      Chuck Jones <chuckjonez@...> wrote:
      >Is there any ancient evidence that writers used
      >copy protection? Any texts in which it is discussed?
      >Any other ancient texts that demonstrate the
      phenomenon?

      This is a excellent question Chuck I believe Bruce
      might have mentioned something about this in one of
      his pots but I am not sure.

      The art of encryption is very old.

      Encryption is reported from antiquity, with Plutarch
      noting that Spartan generals wrote their messages on a
      narrow strip of parchment wrapped around a thin
      cylinder ("scytale"). When the parchment was unwound,
      the message appeared as a nonsense sequence of letters
      and could only be read by wrapping the parchment
      around another cylinder of the same size.

      http://www.cescomm.co.nz/about/history.html

      This website above this note offers information on the
      history of encryption is interesting but is very
      limited

      I have been working on this counting theme in Mark
      since around 1983. Occasionally studies come close to
      some of the aspects I have discussed but never seem to
      put it together. One such website is at the url below.
      They play with word counts and note that the endings
      are usually irrelevant. And they pay attention to the
      importance of the number seven on a much broader scale
      including all of the bible. They do not suggest that
      counting might have been part of a protection scheme
      as I recall.

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/latham/webpages/ccug.htm

      They way that Mark goes about cluing the reader as to
      his counting scheme with the math riddle and Paul's
      allegorical use of leaven, leads me to believe it was
      an original idea most probably from Paul who was
      constantly being challenged on his teaching and
      beliefs. He may have worked out this method while in
      prison after the loss of documents to Alexander the
      coppersmith. If Mark's method were well known he
      would not need to work so hard at getting his readers
      to figure out the formula. Any form of copy protection
      has a short life span. So the more original the more
      it is likely to work. Once it becomes known it is too
      easily overcome and must be discarded for a new
      method. Much like encryption today.

      Five of Paul's epistles bare the phrase "in my own
      hand". One would think that he was anticipating that
      his reader would recognize his own scriptogrophy in
      the document and accept it as authentic. The epistles
      that bare this phrase are 1Cor, Gal, Col, 2Thes, and
      Phm.

      In 2Thesalonians there is a curious accompanying
      phrase 2 Thes. 3:17 I, Paul, write this greeting with
      my own hand. This is the mark in every letter of mine;
      it is the way I write. If Paul had a speical Mark he
      might be anticipating that the one receiving the
      letter would know and recognize the mark.

      Mark the writer is of the opinion that Homer included
      cryptic messages in the Odyssey including the concept
      of resurrection with respect to Odysseus. He implies
      that the scar of recognition is an identifying mark of
      a resurrected Odysseus that comes in the form of the
      old beggar and soon will be in Telemachus when he
      becomes Mature. Some have said that the significance
      of olive wood in the Odyssey has an important hidden
      meaning. Perhaps it signifies an new incarnation I
      cannot say with certainty.

      The intercalation [bracketing] technique of the story
      of the scar is repeated in Mark to make the same point
      about Jesus i.e. That he is John raised from the dead.
      This characteristic in Mark is a paradigm of the Greek
      perfect tense that parallels the concept of
      re-incarnation. As if to say that the spirit existed
      and completed its task in the past and has done so in
      the present as well. The event between the brackets is
      intended to be the most recent incarnation told over
      the story of a previous incarnation. This all seems
      very confusing I know, but it makes sense when you
      understand Greek thought and their use of the perfect
      tense. We have nothing like it in English

      Another point along this line that is worth mentioning
      is the use of parables to conceal meaning in texts.
      Mark openly tells the reader that parables are
      intended to conceal from those who are outside the
      faith and in opposition to it. parables is a seven
      count word in Mark his understanding of them fits well
      with what Paul says about his Gospel. Mark 4:11 And
      he said to them, "To you has been given the secret of
      the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything
      is in parables; 12 so that they may indeed see but not
      perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand; lest
      they should turn again, and be forgiven."

      2Co 4:1 Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy
      of God, we do not lose heart. 2 We have renounced
      disgraceful, underhanded ways; we refuse to practice
      cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open
      statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to
      every man's conscience in the sight of God. 3 And even
      if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those
      who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this
      world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to
      keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the
      glory of Christ, who is the likeness of
      God.
      Notice the context of tampering with God's word.

      Well I am constantly looking for evidence in other
      ancient works. I believe I have seen evidence of
      counting in other documents of the NT but will not
      make that public until I have more evidence.

      Thank your for that excellent question.

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com