The Riddle of Loaves and Baskets final post: five count

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2005
      5 loaves divided by 5000 leaves 12 kosher baskets of
      fragments as leftovers.

      7 loaves divided by 4000 on the other hand, leaves
      only 7 baskets of fullnesses of fragments.

      This posting began by examining the riddle found in
      Mark 8 concerning the loaves and baskets of leftovers.
      I suggested that Mark intends to convey an encrypted
      message with the math and reference to leaven of
      Pharisees and of Herod. He indicates that Jewish
      oriented teaching has been added to the text and or
      teaching of Jesus represented in the first feeding
      story. The baskets of leftovers are designated as
      kosher type baskets as opposed to the regular baskets
      of the second feeding there is also the clue of the
      fulnesses that appear as contents to the baskets in
      the second feeding taking us back to the statement
      about placing a new patch on an old garment. Mark says
      that the new will take fullness from the old and a
      worse rent will occur. The wording from the Greek
      looks like this:

      No one a patch of cloth un-shrunk sews onto an old
      garment otherwise takes the fullness the new the old
      and a worse tear occurs.

      I maintain that this is also a cryptic reference to
      changing a text by adding new material to old. If one
      can determine the new from the old the point of the
      union will become easier to see (worse). The new cloth
      is the teaching of Jesus “with authority” the old
      garment is the tradition of the elders and the law of
      Moses.

      Mark’s math riddle tells us that the first feeding
      story contained leaven of Pharisees and of Herod while
      the second feeding story was free of leaven. The ratio
      of loaves to baskets is the key. It should be one to
      one but in the first feeding story it is five loaves
      to 12 baskets owing to the leaven. Taking our queue
      from Mark's formula we conclude that he has made his
      new document in such a way as to make visible the
      leaven that the Pharisees or Herod might want to put
      into it. He has done this by counting root words: Up
      to this point we have looked at the cardinal numbers
      in this formula 7, and 12. This post deals with the
      number five and some of the words that occur five
      times.

      Throughout the course of these four posts, I have
      maintained that Mark has employed a copy protection
      scheme involving the counting of certain words in his
      document with the intent of making it possible to
      recognize additions to his text. Below is part of my
      research findings related to the number five and and
      some words that appear five times in Mark:

      Words intended to appear five times

      Five
      Mar 6:38
      Mar 6:41
      Mar 6:44
      Mar 8:19 (2)

      Blessed (exact)
      Mar 6:41
      Mar 8:7
      Mar 11:9
      Mar 11:10
      Mar 14:22

      OPISW
      Come after
      Mar 1:7
      Mar 8:33
      Mar 8:34
      Mar 13:16
      ========
      Mar (1:20 AKOLOUQEW, D,W, 1420)

      Fish
      Mar 1:17
      Mar 6:38
      Mar 6:41 (2)
      Mar 6:43
      Mar 8:7

      Moses
      Mar 1:44
      Mar 7:10
      Mar 10:3
      Mar 12:19
      Mar 12:26
      ========
      Mar 9:4
      Mar 9:5
      Mar 10:4 (omit Theta, 565)

      Mark 9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah [with
      Moses; and they were] talking to Jesus. 5 And Peter
      said to Jesus, "Master, it is well that we are here;
      let us make [three]booths, one for you and [one for
      Moses] and one for Elijah." 6 For he did not know what
      to say, for they were exceedingly afraid. 7 And a
      cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the
      cloud, "This is my beloved Son; listen to him." 8 And
      suddenly looking around they no longer saw any one
      with them but Jesus only. 9 And as they were coming
      down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what
      they had seen, until the Son of man should have risen
      from the dead.

      It would appear that the original text did not include
      Moses in the transfiguration scene. A redactor has
      introduced Moses into the text with the preposition
      SUN, the interpolation probably runs as indicated
      above, the bracketed words representing the added
      text. . This same splicing technique is evident in
      4:10 where SUN again introduces an item into the text,
      “the twelve” is put onto the original text to
      demonstrate a close relationship with Jesus.

      As is so many times the case P45 is missing at this
      point in the text. If we follow these troublesome
      passages it is almost always the case that the text of
      P45 is absent at the critical point in the reading, as
      though it had been damaged by something other than
      time and wear long before it was discovered.

      In the opening scene of John Baptizing in the Jordan,
      Mark identifies John as Elijah with his clothing
      taking his reader’s back to an Old Testament verse
      where Elijah was identified by the same type of
      clothing. LXX 2Kings 1:8 The word for the girdle of
      leather is the exact word and form we find in Mark,
      DERMATINHN.

      Throughout the text of Mark there is a continued
      duality related to John and Jesus. This duality places
      John in the role of Elijah and Jesus in the role of
      Elisha with a double portion of the spirit that was in
      John (“the stronger of me comes after me”).

      On the heals of this redacted transfiguration scene we
      have Jesus confirming that John was the expected
      Elijah and along with the implication that he was
      martyred. The addition of Moses to the text disrupts
      the original duality theme in Mark and indicates an
      attempt to accommodate the Jewish factions in the text
      by adding Moses to the mix. There is no subsequent
      reference to the role of Moses in the narrative.

      An addtional point
      Five occurrence of the name Moses makes sense in the
      scheme and symbolism employed by Mark in that like the
      number of loaves it represents the five books of
      Moses.

      Peace,

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...