The riddle of the loaves and baskets post 4

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005
      Following up on the 3rd post titled “the riddle of the
      loaves and baskets in Mark” I present here some of the
      words that I am convinced were intended to appear 12
      times. Again I want to make the point clear that I am
      not saying the count is or would be exact exept in the
      autographs. Many attempts to alter the text of the
      Gospel of Mark were anticipated by the author and were
      most likely executed as soon as the text became public
      making it difficult to determine the original text. In
      the same token the copy protection scheme employed by
      Mark was good enough to cause those attempting to
      change his message, a great deal of difficulty as many
      forgeries would have been found out do to the counting
      scheme. The result was that the opposing Jewish
      factions of the movement called the Way and were
      forced to produce their own versions of Gospel and did
      so by including large sections of Mark in their own
      productions thus defeating the copy protection scheme.
      These factions eventually gained control over the
      movement and placed Peter and the Gospel of Matthew in
      prominence.

      For convenience and to make a point of comparison I
      have reproduced the seven count words after the twelve
      count words.

      Words that were intended to appear 12 times
      In my opinion.

      I left off the Greek lemmas involved this time as they
      can easily be found in any lexicon of the GNT and this
      particular forum does not emphasize the Greek text.

      Twelve (3 additions)
      Mar 5:25
      Mar 5:42
      Mar 6:7
      Mar 6:43
      Mar 8:19
      Mar 9:35
      Mar 10:32
      Mar 11:11
      Mar 14:10
      Mar 14:17
      Mar 14:20
      Mar 14:43
      ========
      Mar 3:14
      Mar 3:16 (bracketed in GNT)
      Mar 4:10 (this addition is prototypical with Greek
      preposition sun)

      Sabbath (1 short exact with Codex Delta reading)
      Mar 1:21
      Mar 2:23 (2 see codex delta)
      Mar 2:24
      Mar 2:27
      Mar 2:28
      Mar 3:2
      Mar 3:4
      Mar 6:2
      Mar 16:1
      Mar 16:2
      Mar 16:9

      Pharisees (exact)
      Mar 2:16
      Mar 2:18
      Mar 2:24
      Mar 3:6
      Mar 7:1
      Mar 7:3
      Mar 7:5
      Mar 8:11
      Mar 8:15
      Mar 10:2
      Mar 12:13

      Baptize Baptism (2 additions)
      Mar 1:4
      Mar 1:5
      Mar 1:8
      Mar 1:9
      Mar 6:14
      Mar 6:24
      Mar 7:4 (2)
      Mar 10:38 (2)
      Mar 10:39 (2)
      ==========
      Mar 14:20
      Mar 16:16

      Proclaim, preach (exact without longer ending)
      Mar 1:4
      Mar 1:7
      Mar 1:14
      Mar 1:38
      Mar 1:39
      Mar 1:45
      Mar 3:14
      Mar 5:20
      Mar 6:12
      Mar 7:36
      Mar 13:10
      Mar 14:9
      =======
      Mar 16:15
      Mar 16:20

      Jerusalem (one short)
      Mar 1:5
      Mar 3:8
      Mar 3:22
      Mar 7:1
      (8:31-- Matthew includes a reference to Jerusalem here
      that is missing from Mark Mat. 16:21-23)
      Mar 10:32
      Mar 10:33
      Mar 11:1
      Mar 11:11
      Mar 11:15
      Mar 11:27
      Mar 15:41

      parable (one addition)
      Mar 4:2 (this appears to be the original introduction
      to parables in the text)
      Mar 4:10
      Mar 4:11
      Mar 4:13 (2)
      Mar 4:30
      Mar 4:33
      Mar 4:34
      Mar 7:17
      Mar 12:1
      Mar 12:12
      Mar 13:28
      =========
      Mar 3:23

      The word (with the definite article-exact without
      longer ending)
      Mar 2:2
      Mar 4:14
      Mar 4:15 (2)
      Mar 4:16
      Mar 4:18
      Mar 4:19
      Mar 4:20
      Mar 4:33
      Mar 5:36
      Mar 7:13
      Mar 14:72
      ========
      Mar 16:20

      Garment (exact)
      Mar 2:21
      Mar 5:27
      Mar 5:28
      Mar 5:30
      Mar 6:56
      Mar 9:3
      Mar 10:50
      Mar 11:7
      Mar 11:8
      Mar 13:16
      Mar 15:20
      Mar 15:24
      A comparison of these two lists tends to indicate a a
      Jewish -- Gentile distinction between the two lists
      which for the most part coincides with the over all
      distinction made in the Gospel themes.

      Seven
      hEPTA
      Mar 8:5
      Mar 8:6
      Mar 8:8
      Mar 8:20 (twice)
      Mar 12:20
      Mar 12:22
      =========
      Mar 12:23
      Mar 16:9

      Gospel
      EUAGGELION
      Mar 1:1
      Mar 1:14
      Mar 1:15
      Mar 8:35
      Mar 10:29
      Mar 13:10
      Mar 14:9
      ---------
      Mar 16:15

      Christ
      XRISTOS

      Mar 1:1
      Mar 8:29
      Mar 9:41
      Mar 12:35
      Mar 13:21
      Mar 14:61
      Mar 15:32

      Voice
      FONH
      Mar 1:3
      Mar 1:11
      Mar 1:26
      Mar 5:7
      Mar 9:7
      Mar 15:34
      Mar 15:37

      Holy
      hAGIOS
      ????????
      Mar 1:8
      Mar 1:24
      Mar 3:29
      Mar 6:20
      Mar 8:38
      Mar 12:36
      Mar 13:11

      Authority
      EXOUSIA
      Mar 1:22
      Mar 1:27
      Mar 2:10
      Mar 3:15
      Mar 6:7
      Mar 11:28
      Mar 13:34

      Evening
      OPSIAS OPSE
      Mar 1:32
      Mar 4:35
      Mar 6:47
      Mar 11:19
      Mar 13:35
      Mar 14:17
      Mar 15:42

      Beware
      Mar 1:44
      Mar 8:15
      Mar 8:24
      Mar 9:4
      Mar 13:26
      Mar 14:62
      Mar 16:7

      Offend, fall away
      SKANDALISQHSONTAI
      Mar 4:17
      Mar 6:3
      Mar 9:42
      Mar 9:43
      Mar 9:45
      Mar 9:47
      Mar 14:27
      Mar 14:29

      Herod
      Mar 6:14
      Mar 6:16
      Mar 6:17
      Mar 6:18
      Mar 6:20
      Mar 6:21
      Mar 6:22
      Mar 8:15

      Elders
      PRESBUTEROS
      ????????????
      Mar 7:3
      Mar 7:5
      Mar 8:31
      Mar 11:27
      Mar 14:43
      Mar 14:53
      Mar 15:1

      Three
      Mar 8:2
      Mar 8:31
      Mar 9:5
      Mar 9:31
      Mar 10:34
      Mar 14:58
      Mar 15:29

      Drink
      Mar 9:41
      Mar 10:38
      Mar 10:38
      Mar 10:39
      Mar 10:39
      Mar 14:25
      Mar 14:25
      Mar 15:36

      Crucify/Cross
      STAURAW
      ????????
      Mar 15:13
      Mar 15:14
      Mar 15:15
      Mar 15:20
      Mar 15:24
      Mar 15:25
      Mar 15:27
      Mar 16:6

      Phrases

      ???????????????????????
      His disciples
      Mar 2:15
      Mar 2:16
      Mar 3:9
      Mar 6:41
      Mar 8:6
      Mar 8:34
      Mar 10:23
      Mar 14:32
      Mar 16:7

      A comparison of these two lists tends to indicate a
      Jewish/Gentile distinction between the two lists which
      for the most part coincides with the over all
      distinction made in the Gospel themes. The next post
      will deal with the number five and words that belong
      to that category.

      RR

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      Discover Yahoo!