Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Cutting off the High Priest's Slave's Ear

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 23, 2013
      A while back David Hindley made several shrewd points including
      this one:

      -----
      The criterion of embarrassment might suggest that the disciples of
      Jesus had at some point actually severed a man's ear during an
      altercation involving swords, then what do we make of Jesus and his
      disciples? Etc. Unfortunately, that problem may even be harder to
      deal with than the former ones.
      -----

      I agree that it is well worth asking what Mark thought the consequences
      were for the casualty, but it might also be worth not letting go of the
      fact that he narrates something with such inconvenient implications.
      I don't think I have read anything on this which offers a satisfactory
      resolution of the problem.

    • Greg Crawford
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 23, 2013

        Perhaps the meaning of the event is much closer to the surface. It would seem a recurrent theme along the road to Jerusalem was that the disciples could not come to terms with the fact that Jesus was not a military messiah. After all, what messiah had not been a military leader until Jesus? If Jesus is travelling to Jerusalem for a showdown, the disciples would naturally think in military terms. Surely the power of the one who exercised a ministry in Galilee would enable them to overcome any kind of military deployment.

        As for the failure to identify Peter as the culprit, I would not be grateful in his shoes if anyone did that before I had died.

        Greg