Two other criminals (Lk 23:32)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2013
      Two other criminals (Lk 23:32) Metzger defended this translation of ETEROI KAKOURGOI DUO, and it also appears in the Jerusalem Bible. But would aLuke really have meant to imply Jesus was a criminal?

      In defence of this reading, I note that in Lk 22:37 aLuke quotes Is 53:12 :

      "For scripture says, 'And he was reckoned among transgressors,' and this, I tell you, must be fulfilled in me ..."

      So perhaps in Lk 23:32 (only) aLuke deliberately included Jesus in the category KATOURGOI so that the prophecy would be fulfilled on two levels. Jesus was crucified between two criminals, but also the gospel author was reckoning Jesus to be in the same category as the transgressors.

      Does anyone else think this might be a plausible explanation? If not, is there a better explanation of this text?

    • Stephen Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2013
        On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Ronald Price <ron-price@...> wrote:
        Metzger defended this translation of ETEROI KAKOURGOI DUO, and it also appears in the Jerusalem Bible. But would aLuke really have meant to imply Jesus was a criminal?

        I don't think so. Luke's theology is that Jesus was innocent (see Luke 23:47, taking DIKAIOS as innocent).  There's also the classical distinction (not always observed in the Koine, but Luke is one of the more careful writers) that hETEROS denotes another of a different kind while ALLOS denotes another of the same kind. Thus, unlike the English translation, the Greek does not necessarily presuppose that Jesus is also a criminal.

        I do agree that Is 53:12 is in view here, but I don't think that being reckoned among transgressors means that the narrator/author necessarily agrees with that reckoning, just that some character in the narrative reckons that way.

        Stephen
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
        Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala