Re: [Synoptic-L] The Passing of Frans Neirynck

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13 3:47 AM
      Thanks for that Bruce. I was in Leuven a month before he died, and I heard
      much about his leadership in the 1970s in making Leuven University a school
      of international renown in his field. We sometimes forget that those
      blessed with administrative genius on top of scholarly acumen can do more
      to progress the field than an a lone individual.

      Stephen Carlson

      On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM, E Bruce Brooks <
      ebbrooks@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > To: Synoptic
      > Cc: GPG
      > On: Frans Neirynck
      > From: Bruce
      >
      > I have just learned, with regret, and from a grammatical hint in the course
      > of conversation with a Continental colleague, of the death of Frans
      > Neirynck, one of the giants of our subject, on 20 October 2012, twenty
      > years
      > after his formal retirement. I have attached a photo, which may or may not
      > make it through the E-process. A memorial minute from the Leuven website is
      > here:
      >

      > http://codexlovaniensis.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-tribute-to-prof-frans-neirync
      > k.html
      >
      > Comment is superfluous, but I may observe that those who, whatever their
      > Synoptic persuasion, do not have Neirynck's studies and compendia on their
      > shelves, are missing something important. That much of the work on them was
      > performed by his students is merely a tribute to Neirynck's powers of
      > organization, plus his perception of what was most deserving of systematic
      > attention. Those skills are likely to be sorely missed in the coming years.
      >
      > Bruce
      >
      > E Bruce Brooks
      > Warring States Project

      Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)