The Passing of Frans Neirynck

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2013
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Frans Neirynck
      From: Bruce

      I have just learned, with regret, and from a grammatical hint in the course
      of conversation with a Continental colleague, of the death of Frans
      Neirynck, one of the giants of our subject, on 20 October 2012, twenty years
      after his formal retirement. I have attached a photo, which may or may not
      make it through the E-process. A memorial minute from the Leuven website is
      here:

      http://codexlovaniensis.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-tribute-to-prof-frans-neirync
      k.html

      Comment is superfluous, but I may observe that those who, whatever their
      Synoptic persuasion, do not have Neirynck's studies and compendia on their
      shelves, are missing something important. That much of the work on them was
      performed by his students is merely a tribute to Neirynck's powers of
      organization, plus his perception of what was most deserving of systematic
      attention. Those skills are likely to be sorely missed in the coming years.

    • Stephen Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2013
        Thanks for that Bruce. I was in Leuven a month before he died, and I heard
        much about his leadership in the 1970s in making Leuven University a school
        of international renown in his field. We sometimes forget that those
        blessed with administrative genius on top of scholarly acumen can do more
        to progress the field than an a lone individual.

        Stephen Carlson

        On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM, E Bruce Brooks <
        ebbrooks@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > To: Synoptic
        > Cc: GPG
        > On: Frans Neirynck
        > From: Bruce
        >
        > I have just learned, with regret, and from a grammatical hint in the course
        > of conversation with a Continental colleague, of the death of Frans
        > Neirynck, one of the giants of our subject, on 20 October 2012, twenty
        > years
        > after his formal retirement. I have attached a photo, which may or may not
        > make it through the E-process. A memorial minute from the Leuven website is
        > here:
        >

        > http://codexlovaniensis.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-tribute-to-prof-frans-neirync
        > k.html
        >
        > Comment is superfluous, but I may observe that those who, whatever their
        > Synoptic persuasion, do not have Neirynck's studies and compendia on their
        > shelves, are missing something important. That much of the work on them was
        > performed by his students is merely a tribute to Neirynck's powers of
        > organization, plus his perception of what was most deserving of systematic
        > attention. Those skills are likely to be sorely missed in the coming years.
        >
        > Bruce
        >
        > E Bruce Brooks
        > Warring States Project

        Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)