RE: [Synoptic-L] counts of word tokens

    Message 1 of 20 , May 9 3:17 PM
      Rick's revised figures do now indicate that
      all the words in the three Greek texts are
      included in the totals. That is a big hurdle
      now cleared.

      It sounds ungrateful to press further questions
      but this is how progress is made. David Inglis
      quite rightly asked why the figures in each row
      differ between the columns.

      For example in the row for items present in
      Matthew // Mark we now have 2975 for Matthew
      but 2978 for Mark - a very minor difference.
      But in the row for Mark // Luke a greater difference:
      1187 vs 1041.
      Once again it is easy for me to ask a naive question
      but I am well aware that obtaining a good answer
      can take a lot of effort.

      Another way of pressing this kind of issue would be this.
      Andris Abakuks' table enumerates all Mark's words and
      in the next columns whether or not Matthew and Luke
      have an equivalent. If I read it correctly these total
      4716 and 3057 respectively. The equivalent figures
      from Rick's table would yield 9610 (Mk) 10140 (Mt)
      and 7819 (Mk) and 7258 (Lk).

      I may not have interpreted this correctly, but if
      that is any where near right, then AA's table is
      presumably using a very tight definition of an equivalent
      word, and Rick is perhaps accepting that two
      words are equivalent even if they are differently inflected
      or not in the same sequence.
      Is that possible? Or is the explanation quite different?

      Message 2 of 20 , May 10 1:59 AM
        I think the lower figures for agreements in the table by Abakuks
        are due to paying more attention both to the sequence of words,
        and to exact equivalence. He gives details of his method in an
        article in JRSS 2012. (Also he concludes at Mark 16.8)

        Message 3 of 20 , May 10 11:10 AM
          So far, such replies as I have seen (thank you) concentrate on word counts. These will, of course, vary depending on
          which variants are or are not counted, and so there really is no single answer. However, for my purposes word counts are
          (at the moment at least) taking me down into detail I don't need, and so for now I'm concentrating just on verses. If
          this proves unsatisfactory, I'm going to drop down to clauses (I think). Anyway, for now these are the verse counts
          (round numbers) I'm using for Luke, and if anyone cares to comment or suggest other numbers, I'm all ears (or eyes!):

          Total Luke: 1150

          Unique to Luke: 550

          Luke/Matthew only: 200

          Luke/Mark only: 70

          Luke/Matthew/Mark: 330

          David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

          https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/

          From: Bruce

          David Inglis asks if there is a consensus on verse counts for single, double, or triple tradition verses. I should
          suppose that the only real consensus in this area consists in the (Eusebian?) numbering of verses, and gets vaguer when
          one goes higher up. (And even that numbering is sometimes problematic).

        • Rick Hubbard
          Message 4 of 20 , May 10 3:57 PM
            Just curious David, but what is it that "verses" relate to?

            Clauses (properly identified) seem to have more potential value.
            Just a thought....

            Regards,

            Rick

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 20 , May 10 5:14 PM
              Rick, verses is just a (somewhat crude) measure of the size of the different ‘sections’ of the synoptics, that I can use to calculate the average number of verses per variant (or variation unit) in the verses unique to Lk, and, for example, compare that number to the average for the verses common to Mt/Mk/Lk. The absolute values don’t matter here, because what I’m looking for is differences. If I find approximately the same value for all the different sections then there’s likely to be no point in drilling down to get more accurate numbers, and I’ve saved myself some time and effort. However, if there are any significant differences then I need to get more accurate numbers for the ‘size,’ and do the comparisons again (I also want to look at the number of variants per variation unit in each of the sections). Then, supposing I find a greater frequency of variation units (and/or variants per variation unit) in the verses unique to Lk than in any of the other ‘sections,’ I’ve got a phenomenon that needs an explanation, and at that point I most likely need as much detail on all the variants as I can get. However, that’s still in the future, and at the moment I’m just trying to see if such a phenomenon even exists.

              David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

              Tricky NT Textual Issues <https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/>

              Message 6 of 20 , May 12 8:43 AM
                The varying figures for words (or verses) to be allocated
                to different Synoptic categories are not easy to resolve.
                Poirier (CBR 2008, 101ff) has a good discussion of Denaux’s
                criticisms of Bergemann on Q. Denaux himself (NovT 1995)
                gives a list of which pericopes in Luke would satisfy B’s
                requirement of c.70% or above agreement. The list is
                at least one place where one can find some sort of answer
                to which passages have very high Lk//Mt agreement, though
                D is critical of B’s reliance only on agreement in form. Also
                D points out that one can find very high and very low levels of
                agreement _both_ in Lk//Mt (only) pairings, and _also_ in sayings
                material involving Lk//Mk and Mt//Mk. Again D also rightly
                points out that comparing Lk//Mt where Mk is present would
                be better, and tends to yield lower levels of agreement. This
                tends to show that the two redactors sometimes follow their
                source(s) closely sometimes very much less closely. (Though
                some of us think of one, and some of two sources.)

                This is the list of high agreement pericopes
                Luke//Mt %agreement (sorted)

                16 13 (96%/100%)
                11 24-26 (95%),
                3 7-9 (94%/95%),
                13 34-35 (87%),
                10 12-15 (83%),
                3 16b-17 (81%),
                7 24-28 (80%),
                1134-35 (80%),
                12 39-40,42b-46 (80%),
                10 23b-24 (77%),
                7 6c-9 (76%/91%),
                1129-32 (76%),
                6 41-42 (74%/80%),
                10 21-22 (72%/78%),
                12 22b-31 (72%),
                11 9-13 (71%/72%),
                6 40 (71%),
                6 45 (69%),
                9 57-60 (66%/73%)?,
                (refs are to Lk, where two figures are given
                the second is the %agreement in Mt).

                (The list has tabs in it so there is no knowing
                what the internet will do to its format.)