another question on the forgiveness petition in the LP/DP

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2013
      As I'm reading through commentaries on this petition I've been noticing
      that virtually everyone who unpacks it holds a hidden assumption -- that
      when Jesus gives his disciples the “forgiveness” request, he views them
      as sinners who are in need of God’s forgiveness.

      But is there really anything here that actually indicates this?

      Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing in the closest OT parallel
      to Matt. 6:12//lk.11:4 -- Sir. 28:1-7 -- that indicates that the one to
      whom the advice on forgiveness is given has sinned or is in the process
      of sinning. It's just wisdom advice for anyone who wants to be forgiven
      should they sin.

      [Anger and wrath, these also are abominations, yet a sinner holds on to
      them]. 28 The vengeful will face the Lord’s vengeance, for he keeps a
      strict account of all their sins. 2 Forgive your neighbor the wrong he
      has done, and then your sins will be pardoned when you pray. 3 Does
      anyone harbor anger against another, and expect healing from the Lord. 4
      If one has no mercy toward another like himself, can he then seek pardon
      for his own sins? 5 If a mere mortal harbors wrath, who will make an
      atoning sacrifice for his sins? 6 Remember the end of your life, and set
      enmity aside; remember corruption and death, and be true to the
      commandments. 7 Remember the commandments, and do not be angry with your
      neighbor; remember the covenant of the Most High, and overlook faults.

      So shouldn't we view Matt. 6:12/Lk. 11:4 likewise?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.