forgive us our sins in LP/DP

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2013
      Just wondering out loud if the use of our in the LP/DP petition for the
      forgiveness of sins has any significance -- i.e., that it is the
      remission of the particular "sins" of the disciples /as a group/, not,
      as is usually supposed, those of each member therein ("forgive each of
      us our individual sins") that is the object of the petition.

      Is there any resonance here with Tom Wright's idea that "forgiveness of
      sins" means "end of exile"?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.

    • Mort
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2013
        Would we exclude the beginning of Jn. 8 because of it's problematic nature in the MS tradition? I would hope it would appear somewhere in your list.

        Bill Axe, 7 year lurker rising to the surface for a breath!