Re: [Synoptic-L] Jesus' teaching on forgiveness

  • Keith Yoder
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
      David,

      I believe there is one specific forgiveness teaching in gJohn:

      John 20:22-23:   and having said this, he blew on them and said, "Receive (the) holy spirit. Whoever's sins you release (AFIHMI), they have been released; whoever's you retain (KRATEW) they have been retained."

      Keith Yoder

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
        Am very pinned down just now, but a search routine
        I found useful in the past was to collect related
        words via a Greek dictionary offering words grouped
        by semantic fields and then run searches for members
        of the resulting set on a text such as the Fribergs'
        Greek NT.

      • Greg Crawford
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2013
          Luke 17:1-4 has an interesting teaching where forgiveness is dependent upon
          repentance.

          Greg Crawford

          Morisset, Australia.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2013
            John 4 is also a study in the nature of forgiveness, don't you think? The Samaritan woman (who of course could be a symbol for history,) but taking the story line at face value, she's had 5 husbands..."and the one you're living with now is not your own"! But, she is never asked to "go back to #1," or to do anything about it, she is simply given the chance to do something good--to live to a better future, and sometimes that's all we can do with our sinfulness--just try to live better with the messes we've made. Just a thought...not too scholarly, but where I am, this AM.

            Bill Axe again, lurker speaking for second time in 7 years...I'll retire now, for another 7.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
              In the LP in Mt, god forgiving us is contingent on our having forgiven others.

              Sent from my iPhone