RE: [Synoptic-L] Jesus' teaching on forgiveness

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18 7:49 AM
      I'll start with a simple search: Mt 6:12-15, 9:2-6, 12:31-32, 18:21, 35, Mk 2:5-10, 3:28-29, 4:12, 11:25-26, Lk
      5:20-24, 6:37, 7:47. No John, and I don't know about Thomas.

      David Inglis

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18 8:01 AM
        David,

        I believe there is one specific forgiveness teaching in gJohn:

        John 20:22-23:   and having said this, he blew on them and said, "Receive (the) holy spirit. Whoever's sins you release (AFIHMI), they have been released; whoever's you retain (KRATEW) they have been retained."

        Keith Yoder

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18 11:19 AM
          Am very pinned down just now, but a search routine
          I found useful in the past was to collect related
          words via a Greek dictionary offering words grouped
          by semantic fields and then run searches for members
          of the resulting set on a text such as the Fribergs'
          Greek NT.

        • Greg Crawford
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20 4:19 AM
            Luke 17:1-4 has an interesting teaching where forgiveness is dependent upon
            repentance.

            Greg Crawford

            Morisset, Australia.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20 10:54 AM
              John 4 is also a study in the nature of forgiveness, don't you think? The Samaritan woman (who of course could be a symbol for history,) but taking the story line at face value, she's had 5 husbands..."and the one you're living with now is not your own"! But, she is never asked to "go back to #1," or to do anything about it, she is simply given the chance to do something good--to live to a better future, and sometimes that's all we can do with our sinfulness--just try to live better with the messes we've made. Just a thought...not too scholarly, but where I am, this AM.

              Bill Axe again, lurker speaking for second time in 7 years...I'll retire now, for another 7.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21 8:49 AM
                In the LP in Mt, god forgiving us is contingent on our having forgiven others.

                Sent from my iPhone