Re: [Synoptic-L] The genealogies and the Diatessaron.

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18 5:30 AM
      David,

      I believe that no manuscript of Mt and Lk exists without the genealogies (except fragments that do not contain the relevant portions of the books, of course).  So the earliest evidence for genealogies existing in Mt and Lk may be the earliest complete copies of Mt and Lk themselves.  Others can comment on the first external reference to a gospel genealogy; I've not studied the church fathers much at all.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18 5:38 AM
        Picturing Tatian staring at the two passages brings a smile to my face, Jeff.  Once the two genealogies pass David, they are irreconcilable.  Son of Solomon or son of Nathan?  Was Jesus' grandfather Heli or Jacob?

        Marcion's Christology gave him a reason not to include a genealogy if he
        knew of one. And how would Tatian have gone about harmonizing the Matthaean
        and Lucan genealogies if he were inclined to?

        Jeff Peterson