Draft of Lord's/Disciple's Prayer Book

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2013
      I've been working for the last few weeks on completing a book on the
      Lord's/Disciples' Prayer that might be published in the Moorehouse Press
      "Conversations with Scripture" series.

      I'd very much like to have comments and criticisms on what I've so far
      managed to cobble together if you have any inclination to do so.

      You'll find a pdf draft of it - under the title of "Book revision 3.pdf"
      in the files section of my JBGibsonWritings Yahoo Group (you'll have
      to join to access the file).

      To give you a taste of where I'm going, here's the Introduction to the
      book.

      > Introduction
      >
      > One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he
      > finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to
      > pray, just as John taught his disciples." (Lk. 11:1 NRSV)
      >

      > Every day Christians all over the world, taking the text of Luke
      > 11:1 as their cue, ‘dare’ and “make bold” both privately and
      > publically to utter the words which Jesus gave his disciples when
      > they asked him to teach them to pray. But do Christians actually
      > understand the words they utter? More importantly, granting that
      > they have some understanding of these words (as surely they must,
      > especially if they have read studies of the Prayer or, as is
      > likely, have been instructed by pastors and teachers on what the
      > words mean), is this understanding in any way consonant with what
      > Jesus himself understood the meaning and aim of his words to be?
      > To put this another way: When we pray the prayer Jesus taught “us”
      > to pray, are we really praying it as Jesus intended “us” to pray
      > it. Is what we ask for when we petition God to let his name “be
      > hallowed” and his Kingdom “come” and for bread and forgiveness and
      > not being led into “temptation” really what Jesus thought and
      > meant those who recited his words about God’s name, God’s
      > Kingdom, “our” bread, forgiveness and “temptation” to be asking
      > for? I strongly believe, quite contrary to what is most often
      > thought in this regard, even by important scholars of Jesus’s
      > Prayer, that the answer to this question is no. And in the
      > following pages I take up the task of showing through an extended
      > “conversation” with the bit of scripture traditionally known as
      > “The Lord’s Prayer” that this is so.

      As ever,

      Jeffrey

      --